ECM Technika IV Profi vs. Profitec Pro 500 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by jwCrema »

There is a thread here somewhere that covered the vibe v rotary pump subject. The net, as I recall, is that pressure is pressure and both get the same pressure.

I don't have a Profitec machine, so I'm not qualified to really compare them. Before I realized I really don't need to take off the covers, I found them straight forward to remove. What I figured out I really like having access to is the pump pressure valve. On page 2 of this thread I posted where it is on the Profi.

HX espresso machines... Is there any more love?

Some roasts like 9 and others like 8. The slot to turn the valve fits a nickel like a glove and it's just a pop the blind basket it in, tweak, done. I had no idea going in that I was looking for this feature. Yet another observation to prove the blind squirrel gets the nut.

gophish

#12: Post by gophish »

aecletec wrote:This is not what is usually written on the subject and fact quite the opposite with regards to ramp up. There was some early myth about pulsatile flow with vibratory pumps but taste testing here years ago showed there wasn't really anything in it with regards to superiority of shots. Perhaps there was a peculiarity of a certain machine buy I'm not sure this is an accurate generalisation.
I guess i had it backwards? My apologies. Either way, I wouldn't anticipate any difference really with how forgiving the E61 design is.
Versalab

gophish

#13: Post by gophish »

jwCrema wrote: On page 2 of this thread I posted where it is on the Profi.

HX espresso machines... Is there any more love?

Some roasts like 9 and others like 8. The slot to turn the valve fits a nickel like a glove and it's just a pop the blind basket it in, tweak, done. I had no idea going in that I was looking for this feature. Yet another observation to prove the blind squirrel gets the nut.
Do you have the Profi or the non switchable Technika IV? The screw for pressure adjustments on mine is located underneath the machine, I wish it was as easy to get to as yours.
Versalab

aecletec

#14: Post by aecletec »

gophish wrote:I guess i had it backwards? My apologies. Either way, I wouldn't anticipate any difference really with how forgiving the E61 design is.
No need for apologies! I think the E61 definitely has that reputation!

Sobriquet (original poster)

#15: Post by Sobriquet (original poster) »

To update the thread, I ordered the Profitec 500. It'll be here in 8 days.

In the end, I got a great deal on the Profitec for just over 1500. The ECM Profi would been $570 more, and the only meaningful differences were the ability to plumb and the joysticks. I'm hearing the knobs on the Profitec are nice and don't require multiple spins like my Gaggia does.

By the time we're ready to plumb, I may end up wanting a dual boiler machine (or whatever new gadget is out by then), so it didn't make complete sense to drop the extra cash right now.

I'm glad for less money than the Rocket I was originally considering I'm getting a stainless boiler and no plastic tubing.