Simpli press coffee - French Press (Kickstarter) - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
vit

#11: Post by vit »

Well, ordinary 3 cup FP (0.35 l) is 10-15 EUR. However, it happened that after a few months I broke the glass. But I found suitable stainless container to replace the glass, so that I can boil the water directly in it and after usage I can knock most of the coffee out, which one can't do with glass ...

CathyWeeks (original poster)

#12: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) replying to vit »

That sounds very neat. Was it difficult to find a container that fit the inner parts of the press? I tried doing something similar with my Sowden Softbrew - I heated the water in the ceramic pot in the microwave, then dropped the filter with the coffee grounds into the water, but the grounds float like mad, and it didn't allow for a bloom, and I found I preferred to pour hot water over the grounds, into the Sowden instead.

vit

#13: Post by vit »

Yes, it was, diameter is not standard, I found it by accident in a shop with stuff for yachts, boats etc. In the meantime I used Pyrex 0.25 l measuring glass which had similar diameter, but was lower and easier to clean and made of slightly thicker glass. But for larger FP probably some smaller standard pot (stainless or enamel) would do

I don't know why they don't make stainless FP-s. I think that there is only one model available, not very cheap, on amazon or ebay, and several double wall models (which are obviously not suitable for heating the water directly in the container)

edit: note that I didn't use it to fit into glass (whick I broke) but replaced the glass with metal container

#14: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

vit wrote:I don't know why they don't make stainless FP-s. I think that there is only one model available, not very cheap, on amazon or ebay, and several double wall models (which are obviously not suitable for heating the water directly in the container)
I've been considering this one for my travel/camping press: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7FUME4/, but it's double wall.

I would guess that single-walled stainless steel FPs get very hot, much more so even than glass. On the other hand, I wouldn't really want to handle (without protecting my skin from burns) a glass FP full of nearly boiling water any more than I would a stainless one. And in fact, whenever I've seen people using a FP, they handle the top when they press the coffee, and the handle, and mostly avoid touching the body of the press itself. :-)

vit

#15: Post by vit »

Well, it needs some basic caution like boiling a water for tea or whatever in a pot, or making a turkish in a csezve, people have been doing it for ages ... and of course I'm holding the handle and not the metal

simpli press

#16: Post by simpli press »

Hi all, This is Jenni - creator and co-founder of simpli press.
Thank you to all our backers here who supported us! You guys rock!
I'd be happy to answer any questions here.

One of the immediate questions I see is what's the difference between Espro and simpli. Well, plenty! The only similarity is the double filter, which other presses on the market have by just doubling the mesh filter component. :)

The cleanup factor is a big difference and our filter design is completely innovative with it's functions. With the filter being a micro-etched stainless steel (which should last forever), you can use fine to coarse grinds and even put an optional paper filter (using aeropress paper filters) for an extra clean cup. It also doubles as a tea container. Of course, it also attached to the cup below for easy cleanup of all the grounds! We also wanted to make sure that we did not use any plastics that touches your brew with simpli press (since I've had a health scare and don't believe in plastics touching hot liquid and for the integrity of the brew). Hope this helps!

Here's a quick summary below!
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/012/40 ... 60bef7901d

Also a fun gif of how it works:
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/011/17 ... 10008b319b

For us, it started with wanting to drink French press every morning, but between brewing and cleanup time, it just wasn't possible. With simpli press, being able to develop the optimized brew in 2-3 minutes plus cutting the cleanup time in half makes a difference in our hurried lives (I personally disliked getting all the grounds from the bottom of the carafe, broke one trying to clean it, and even had our sink clogged by just dumping all the grounds down there).

Then the taste factor came shortly after as our new favorite by being able to get more out of our coffee beans by being able to use fine to medium grinds (40% more according to the coffee scientist) and brew different roasts (light and medium).

We loved brewing at the live events (see our Kickstarter video and more on youtube; we even won a New Product Award, 3rd Place at Portland Coffee Fest judged by coffee industry experts) to just see people's reactions and feedback on the difference!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... implipress

Thank you to all of you and truly at the end of the day, there is a right brewer for everyone and it's all a matter of preference/mood (we have at least 6 at home, lol)! :) Cheers!

jbviau
Supporter ★

#17: Post by jbviau »

Espro is now suing for patent infringement: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/07/prweb13575713.htm
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#18: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

FYI - the suit was dropped ages ago.

http://litigation.maxval-ip.com/Litigat ... mpli%20LLC

According to an update/comment buried somewhere on their KS that I can't find now, they changed the plunger design to be more different (solid side walls instead of perforated)