$17k for new 2 group Slayer espresso machine. - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nickw

#11: Post by nickw »

Here's a video of an Australian cafe pounding on their Slayer.
A 2 group machine could take it. You'd be cussing the single groups, even if you had 3-4 of em.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

nickw wrote:Here's a video of an Australian cafe pounding on their Slayer.
A 2 group machine could take it. You'd be cussing the single groups, even if you had 3-4 of em.

Why would you say that? Two separate baristas could keep everything nice and smooth running. There'd be no point in having two separate single group machines if there's only one person behind the bar, but maybe I missed that comment.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
nickw

#13: Post by nickw »

TomC wrote:Why would you say that? Two separate baristas could keep everything nice and smooth running. There'd be no point in having two separate single group machines if there's only one person behind the bar, but maybe I missed that comment.
I just meant that if you tried to put that shot volume (one shot started every 17.6 seconds) the single groups wouldn't be able to keep up.

The single groups are good, but they need recovery time between pulling a shot and steaming. Where the 2/3 group machines can maintain non stop action.

In regards to the number of people behind the bar, I may of also mis-understood. I thought it was for a second cafe the original poster was opening, which is where my capacity concerns and opinion came from. As an owner of the single group, I would have concerns about opening a cafe with any volume, as they start to show their thermal revovery limits when moving quickly, which in a cafe would be the worst time. In that sense I think the Kees Speedster is a good step ahead with it's three 900watt elements and he toggles them.

Zveltor (original poster)

#14: Post by Zveltor (original poster) »

Thanks guys. All very good points. I wasn't considering recovery time.

boost

#15: Post by boost »

In theory the 2 single group should have enough steaming power and capacity (2x2000 Watt, 2x 3.3L) vs 2 group (4000 Watt, 7.4 L). However in execution one machine will be used more often for steaming than the other one so it will definitely suffer in recovery.
Also shops have been known to order 3 group even when they only really need two group for backup purpose. The reliability of the V3 has been better than V1 and V2 so hopefully thats not the case anymore.