My Mazzer Super Jolly doser is a clump monster...will it stop? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by jwCrema »

jchung wrote:Also... What beans are you using? Are they dark beans?
Redbird

Goldensncoffee (original poster)

#12: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

No...I actually have a bag of Redbird Sweet Blue coming tomorrow. The beans I've been using are One Village

I didn't want to make another post about this but maybe you guys can help me...When single dosing is it ok to leave the hopper on. drop in beans. open door to let them into the burrs. close door. drop in 2nd charge (if pulling a second shot)...and so on. I've been using my tamper on top but I was wondering if the way I described with the hopper would work.

VisionScientist

#13: Post by VisionScientist »

I don't know anything about your grinder, but I notice that you keep referring to pinholes and channeling together? Is the pinholing the only sign of channeling? Do you use a bottomless porta filter? I ask because I think that pinholes can be caused during the depressurization of the puck after the shot. If you are judging the shot quality by the spent puck, then you might end up chasing your tail. I think the bottomless PF is the best shot diagnostic tool there is. =)

Cheers!

#14: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) replying to VisionScientist »

I did not know that pinholes and channeling weren't the same thing...thank you for clarifying that. I'm completely new to espresso. You guys are my go to for advice as I have nobody to mentor me in person. So they can be caused by depressurization...very interesting. I have had shots that appeared to have channeled and blonded way too fast on my first pound. I then tried some different distribution and tamping techniques and now my shots end under pressure. (The valve releases into the drip try when I stop the machine if that makes sense...on other shots where it starts really pouring fast it doesnt do this). Some of these shots actually taste nice. When I inspected the puck I did see some pinholes...so maybe they're nothing to worry about. I plan on picking up a bottomless PF soon. I just haven't gotten around to ordering one.

Thanks

#15: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

Just thought I'd post an update here.

I chopped my PF this afternoon. My Redbird Sweet Blue came in. I stopped sweating the clumping. Dosed directly into the basket inserted in the PF. Knocked with my hand to settle and distribute the grounds. Did a Staub type tamp. (light North, South, E, W) then a 30 in the center with a polish. Pulled 3 BEAUTIFUL shots this afternoon...I'm talking gorgeous... The taste was amazing. I made a Cappa for myself and my Wife. It was by far the best thing coffee wise I've ever had.

Thanks guys :D