Portafilter trying to unscrew itself...why? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zimberto

#11: Post by zimberto »

JakiChan wrote:Can someone provide a link to something that says otherwise? And this Cafelat gasket is about 4 months old. That seems like an awfully short lifespan for a gasket.

2. The portafilter that came with the machine still fits the same.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why the issue would be with the gasket and not the portafilter. (And if you search on the Cafelat portafilter you'll see other people saw the same thing without changing their gasket.)
So it sounds like the Cafelat portafilter is not an exact fit for the group head. Perhaps that last 30 degrees of turn (from 7 o'clock to 6 o'clock) is required to lock the portafilter into place. A thinner gasket should fix that.

nuketopia

#12: Post by nuketopia »

It is possible I'm wrong on the 8mm vs. 8.5mm. I know that I got a naked PF from Chris Coffee that locks in at 7-o'clock, instead of 6-o'clock and the smaller gasket fixed it.

I've not used the silicone gaskets, just the "soft" rubber ones that I got from Chris'.
But - anytime I caught the PF wanting to turn off by itself, it was always a sign that I needed a new gasket. It's a huge mess if it pops off.

Perhaps it was just a little soapy from the back-flush? But if you want it to turn further to lock in, then swap to the thinner gasket.

JakiChan (original poster)

#13: Post by JakiChan (original poster) »

zimberto wrote:So it sounds like the Cafelat portafilter is not an exact fit for the group head. Perhaps that last 30 degrees of turn (from 7 o'clock to 6 o'clock) is required to lock the portafilter into place. A thinner gasket should fix that.
That would make sense, but then wouldn't my "stock" portafilter go "too far"? I guess that's better than not far enough?
nuketopia wrote:It is possible I'm wrong on the 8mm vs. 8.5mm. I know that I got a naked PF from Chris Coffee that locks in at 7-o'clock, instead of 6-o'clock and the smaller gasket fixed it.
And what did your "stock" ones do after you did that? Did they screw in "extra far"?
nuketopia wrote:But - anytime I caught the PF wanting to turn off by itself, it was always a sign that I needed a new gasket. It's a huge mess if it pops off.
Shouldn't last longer than 6 months? (Mine's less than 6.)
nuketopia wrote:Perhaps it was just a little soapy from the back-flush? But if you want it to turn further to lock in, then swap to the thinner gasket.
At the moment that's my guess, or possibly too much coffee. Although I'm weighing just the basket now, so we'll see. I'll update if it happens again.

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

Just curious, where'd you get the Mini E?

JK

#15: Post by JK »

Look at the Lugs/Ears on your PF..
Most have a double angled ramp..
Some have a steep ramp to a slight ramp and others have two slight ramps..

Look at the ramps and see if you have a groove worn into the ramps..

When you insert the PF check if your making it onto the 2nd ramp..
I'd use a marker to make group and PF..

If you have been really locking it down that increase the wear on the ramps..

You can get some 100 grit wet dry sand paper (its not sand or paper) and lay the whole sheet on the counter top and give the back side a few rubs..

Also check the old gasket against the old laying on the counter with a straight edge across both..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

apoopoo999

#16: Post by apoopoo999 »

There are so many different portafilters made by different companies, the ears or lugs are never made to a certain specifications.
Yes maybe the stock anita with the stock portafilter takes a 8.5mm gasket but this is not set in stone. If your third party portafilter is not locking then it is obvious that you need a thinner gasket to accommodate this. The thickness of the lip on the basket also changes things too.

JK

#17: Post by JK »

If the other PF fit fine and the one that is unscrewing is a little bigger I seen a video on using the whole sheet of sand paper on a flat surface and rubbing the top of the PF to shave it down some.. This will be the area the basket rests on.. This will shorten the distance between the ears and gasket..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!