Best brewed coffee grinder for a beginner

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mitch897

#1: Post by Mitch897 »

Hello all!,

I am a beginner coffee brewer... experimenter :D I am currently going to buy a french press and maybe even a turkish coffee pot. For some reason these two methods really sparked my interest and seem to focus on the body of the coffee, which is what I am looking for. I am a college student so I don't have the best of budgets. I wanted to stay under a total of $240, I am already decided on the sterlingpro french press 34oz chrome for $30. I was wondering what grinder you would recommend for a beginner who will never go to espresso machines but definitely will get a turkish coffee pot in the future.

Thanks,
Mitch

day

#2: Post by day »

Definitely the lido line of grinders from orphan espresso, at coarse grinds it is a very relaxing experience and even if you go fine for aeropress and espresso one day it is very easy. Fantastic quality and exactly what you need in your situation, imo.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Or Turkish you will need a hand grinder like the Lido, and it will serve you well for everything else too.

Turkish is just too hard on electric grinders, if you want something that will be well for all brew methods check out the baratza virtuoso.

Mitch897 (original poster)

#4: Post by Mitch897 (original poster) »

day wrote:Definitely the lido line of grinders from orphan espresso, at coarse grinds it is a very relaxing experience and even if you go fine for aeropress and espresso one day it is very easy. Fantastic quality and exactly what you need in your situation, imo.
Thank you for the advice. I think we have winner

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I wonder which LIDO will best accommodate Turkish grind. You might consider the one that's dialable for espresso so you can go that fine without too much effort.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Mitch was apparently thinking in the same direction.

Lido E or Lido 2
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Mitch897 (original poster)

#7: Post by Mitch897 (original poster) replying to drgary »

great minds think alike :D It is a hard decision, as long as the lido e can perform well with a french press grind then I will most likely go with it. The lido E doesn't have many reviews on the web for its french press grind. Hopefully someone has experience with it

weebit_nutty

#8: Post by weebit_nutty »

It's my understanding that the only difference with the Lido E is with the adjustment precision, so it just takes a bit longer to get to your setting, but in terms of a coarse grind, I doubt there's any difference.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

The only difference between an 2 and an E is how many turns to reach a specific adjustment. The E takes twice as many.

Ira

Boldjava

#10: Post by Boldjava »

Mitch897 wrote:Hello all!,

... I am already decided on the sterlingpro french press 34oz chrome for $30. ...
Mitch, if you are open to it, I would go with a Bodum. I am unfamiliar with the Sterling, but I have looked at a ton of press pots. No one touches the quality (particularly the screen) of Bodum, IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-Fr ... B00008XEWG

Glad you have been steered to the Lido line. I love mine and it is fully capable for Turkish.

Dave
-----
LMWDP #339