Coffee, Fashion, and New Gear

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
japyke

#1: Post by japyke »

Hi all, first post here.

Most importantly I want to express thanks to HB Dan, the HB community, and Chris's coffee.

Some 30 years ago in college I had a roomie who hooked me on coffee with a chemex. Years later, out of fashion, it was difficult to even find Chemex filters and asking for a 'pour over'? Good luck.

Fast forward 15 years to a frigid morning at a frigid flea market in Paris. I experienced my first cappuccino and was hooked. Our first machine was a francis francis X1. It worked acceptably for years, especially with canned Illy coffee. Shame about that steamer. However the machine was a throwaway. I was told it would cost more to repair than it's original cost.

5 years ago, determined to pay more and get more, I did way too much obsessive,relationship stressing research and fortuitously ended up in Chris' coffee showroom. A few hours later I left with a 2nd gen Vivaldi (plumbed) and a vario-w. Affordable double boilers were just entering the prosumer market and it all made perfect sense; set the temp, each dose is weighed, my espresso making skills brushed up on, what could go wrong? This gear combo was a huge step up from the Francis Francis. Perfection seemed to be within my grasp. In hindsight, however, consistency was furtive and illusive. The vario-w proved to be a dissapointment. It was sent back to Baratza twice for repair after failing (only the first time was under warranty).

My significant other and I parted ways 2 years ago and I've been without any gear for 2 years. Ouch.

Finally, my budget afforded new kit and it was time to make difficult decisions again. Back to the drawing board. I watched all of Dan's beginner videos for starters (consistency and basics-thanks Dan). I know Double boilers are all the rage now but did I really want another La Spaziale with it's 53mm group? Not really. Should I go back to basics and an E61 group? No, I'm hooked on having the option of volumetric dosing. Do I think the Linea Mini is a good value? Not really. Do I want to fill a tank and empty a drip tray? No. Would I ever buy another lightweight $500 grinder, No (even if it is walking down the Atlanta 'fashion runway' as I write this).

Two days ago I made another pilgrimage to Chris' (Thank you Mary!) and left with another carload of gear. This time I suppose I've bucked the fashion trend and returned to basics. I'm the proud new owner of a Cimballi DT1 Jr. and a Mahlkoenig K30 Vario.

I have no more excuses. I can't blame the gear any more. I hope to improve my barista skills, get to know my new gear, and find some great espresso blends that I can share with friends and family.

Thanks again.