Aeropress alternative with no plastic? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jedovaty

#11: Post by jedovaty »

If silicone is okay, check out the impress. Very similar to french press, but easier to clean.

day

#12: Post by day »

if looking for an aeropress your budget is the obvious problem, though probably you need to read up on the forumns facts. A lot of good advice already given. I think if you want high quality solid products you need to either raise your budget or simplify your brew device.

Going off on a tangent now. It's Probably true that the FDA can't be given too much reliability. Reading old reports they have made absurd statements like knowingly allowing partially hudrogenated oils to stay in mainstream foods for decades despite reporting it is dangerous and unsafe but citing potential devastation to the soy industry as cause to leave it unaffected. Even the new rules set to take place in a couple of years allow for exemptions if alternative oils can't be cheaply applied in place of. And that is just one of many blatant examples. They are clearly influenced by lobbyist and industry ties. Nonetheless, any plastic leech is probably not as bad for us as much else we consume and our exposed to.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

leon

#13: Post by leon »

jedovaty wrote:If silicone is okay, check out the impress. Very similar to french press, but easier to clean.
+1. The Impress brewer (aka Bobble Presse) is a very nice immersion/press style brewer. The amount of silicone that actually contacts the coffee is quite small. The rest of it is stainless steel. Great for traveling as well, it's my main travel brewer.

Eastsideloco

#14: Post by Eastsideloco »

It would stretch your budget, but this copper aeropress kit is pretty killer:

http://www.artisansmith.com.au/products ... -press-kit

jedovaty

#15: Post by jedovaty »

How about a vac pot with any filter - paper, metal, or glass, chose your poison. It's sort of a reverse press... it might implode on itself if you do the "espresso" style brew like with the aeropress. I'd pay a few cents to watch that :twisted:

jedovaty

#16: Post by jedovaty »

Oh - you could also just do cupping style brew, dump grinds into vessel of choice, steep, sink or scoop the floaters, and sip.

Or there's the microwave method (this coffee is surprisingly good if you have one of those cheaper non-constant power microwaves), or turkish coffee... or or ... plenty of options. Heckarooney, there's a guy here who used to have a signature that he'd grind coffee with his teeth then chase it down with boiling water. That's manly and worth a big bushy beard.

After enough caffeine, it'll all taste the same anway. :mrgreen:

jpender

#17: Post by jpender »

I've long dreamed of a stainless vacuum walled aeropress. I wish I had the skills to make one. I'd make it a little larger too. Eating a little plastic doesn't bother me but the fact that my Aeropresses have only lasted about a year on average does. And it would be nice to limit the heat loss for steeps that are longer than ten seconds. I've switched over to using an Impress but it has its own set of limitations.

That copper thing might be more durable but it looks like it would be worse than plastic for heat retention. And I'd rather eat plastic than copper. It is attractive in an old-fashioned artsy sort of way though. It would look good sitting on a shelf.

aecletec

#18: Post by aecletec »

jpender wrote: And I'd rather eat plastic than copper.
Yeah, I'd rather trade a vague scientifically unsupported risk for a real risk, too. ;)

day

#19: Post by day »

Misclick...

However, sorry for any spelling errors...I was typing on my phone (iphone 5 so pretty small) in the middle of the night in a tent.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Unrooted

#20: Post by Unrooted »

greg9840 wrote:And please don't tell me I shouldn't worry because these plastics are FDA approved and so on. Just because something is FDA approved does not necessarily mean it is safe.
Greg
Hopefully you are okay with PVC...

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/WorkArea/Do ... x?id=63839