Received a 220v heating element instead of a 110v

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
EdBravo2

#1: Post by EdBravo2 »

Just finished refurbishing and welding a Fiorenzato Bricoletta. This is the first high end espresso maker I've ever attempted to fix. Aside from the Breville Dual Boiler. After 3 years of non use and tap water scale. Machine sparkles and no pressure leaks. I'm currently using the same heating element (1800watts 110v). This heating element took a severe beating. Sanding, acid, high heat torch to break the seal. I wasn't planning on using it. Now when I open the hot water valve to release enough water that the water pump has to engage. It takes about 40 sec for boiler to come up to 1.5bar. Is this a normal amount of time? My main problem to the heating element issue. The replacement element I was sent is a 220v 1800watt. Can I install this instead, or is the resistance inside the element too thick? Thank you for your help. Also I just noticed my boiler light does not turn off at all. Isn't it supposed to cycle. Maybe the problem with the original pressurestat?

dsevier

#2: Post by dsevier »

The issue of a 220V heating element on a 110V circuit is that it will have half the current running through it than it were on the 220V circuit it was designed for. And since power is V * i, it will have 1/4 the power it was designed for. In short, you will have effectively a 450W heater if you were to put it on the 120 V circuit. So at best, heating would be very sluggish. But it least it won't burn out quickly, which is what happens when you put a 120 V element on a 220 V circuit! Can you explain the problem to the supplier, return the element as uninstalled, and get the correct element?