Bloom vs. No Bloom Pourover - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
day

#11: Post by day »

I personally wonder if this is his preferred v60 method (or more likely the method prepared for him at this point I would think) or if it is instead the method they feel best for the general population. Keeping consistency in the recipe, easy to remember numbers like 330, every 15 seconds etc would be easier to explain. It would also probably be easier to achieve with a lower quality burr, where fines will produce a slow down making shorter brew times harder without going absurdly coarse. And then, given that most of the customer base probably uses sugar/milk etc aiming for a pretty strong coffee would make sense. I may be way off, but I don't see anything that says it's the best way, just a broad set of directions intended for mass consumption and clear instructions to customers, right?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

weebit_nutty

#12: Post by weebit_nutty »

The only reason why I would bloom is to gauge freshness of the coffee and to see a pretty little muffin develop and it's subsequent destruction. It's all part of the ritual, but I have no delusions about how things taste be merely waving my wrist like some forlorn jedi. Having tested this extensively with friends and family, know for a fact most people cannot tell, much less care about the marginal difference.

For PO/FP/, 99% of the flavors are instilled in the roast, and as long as I don't intentionally muck things up, they deliver.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

turtle

#13: Post by turtle »

The only time I do not "bloom" or "pre-infuse" is with my Commercial Bunn which does not do this automatically. I did try to bloom with the Bunn filter basket external over the carafe but it was a bit too wobbly and dangerous so I stopped. The commercial Bunn makes a pretty darn tasty pot of coffee on its own without any outside help from me.

With pour over I pour in only enough water to "wet" not allowing more than a few drops at most to go through. I wait until the swelling starts to collapse which is between 30 and 45 seconds depending on the bean, age, and roast level. I roast my own coffee so freshness is not an issue. I find that I get a more consistent layer of grounds on the sides when I pre-infuse/bloom as compared to a thin wobbly bit of grounds on the sides when I do not wet the coffee before starting the pour.

I pre-infuse in the espresso machine for 2-3 seconds, then wait 5 seconds before pulling the shot.

This is just the way I have always brewed coffee.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

The Bunn brewers usually feature some turbulence in brewing which allows them to brew faster and get all the grounds wet, this may help eliminate the need for a bloom cycle. This also may be why the Bunn basket filters need to be taller.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

turtle

#15: Post by turtle replying to yakster »

Yes they have a fair amount of turbulence/stirring going on. The grounds form up the filter sides about 2 to 3 inches.

Commercial Bunn machines are designed to make large quantities of coffee rapidly. They are ready to brew another pot within minutes of one being completed. They are built as high production coffee machines for commercial application (restaurants, coffee shops, businesses with many employees, etc). They do work marvelously in a home environment as they brew very good tasting coffee (right temp + right amount of time). You just have to remember to power them down after your single morning brew otherwise they will sit all day at brew temp waiting for you to decide to make another pot and they do take longer to get to temp for the first brew than your typical home coffee machine.

They also make a deep basket for using larger amounts of ground coffee.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee