No flash boil when flushing Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Goldensncoffee

#1: Post by Goldensncoffee »

I apologize if I shouldn't have started a new thread about this. I figured this was a specific question regarding the machine that maybe someone can answer. I'm going a little crazy here not knowing if this thing is broken or just working as designed.

The machine is a pre-owned Elektra Micro Casa Semiautomatica. Boiler heats up fine, Steams fine, Pump runs fine. I get the machine up to temperature by letting it warm up for 30+ mins and run some boiler water through the group. When I try to do a cooling flush there is no noise like I see in every video explaining the HX flush. The only noise that can be heard is the pump running. I've let it idle 5,10.15,30 mins and still no flash boil noise. I've done it without the portafilter in place and with the portafilter/empty basket in place. The only thing I see is when the portafilter is in place; there is some bubbles that come out of the spout for about 15 seconds before a steady stream. Is this the cue I'm looking for that I'm at the right temperature?

Thanks guys. I don't know what I would do without a place like this to ask questions. I'm completely new to espresso and going nuts trying to figure this thing out.

Jay

Advertisement
MCALheaven

#2: Post by MCALheaven »

One of the simplest ways to learn to manage temperature is with an infrared temp gun from the hardware store. If you aim the gun right at the bottom of the stream of espresso as it builds in a well pre-heated cup you can get a good idea if your water temp is too high or too low based on the drink temp in the cup. The temp standard I like to use is something like 153F +/- 6F for the espresso in the cup. But this assumes you already know how to grind, dose and tamp. If you're completely new to espresso, you've got a lot more things to research and learn than just water temperature control.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Goldensncoffee wrote:The machine is a pre-owned Elektra Micro Casa Semiautomatica... When I try to do a cooling flush there is no noise like I see in every video explaining the HX flush.
Sounds like the heat exchanger is covered with scale. If the sightglass is clear, then the scale buildup may be limited to the HX's interior. If so, running some white vinegar through the brew path may be enough. Be aware that the Semiautomatica has a chromed water reservoir and harsh descalers will quickly damage the finish. If white vinegar doesn't help, then the steam boiler will need descaling too. Because of its design, that's a fairly delicate job.
Dan Kehn

Goldensncoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies MCAL and Dan,

She is working fine now. I did do a full boiler descale and HX descale when I first got it. I think what was happening was I wasn't bleeding off the pressure in the steam wand...When it gets up to temp (40 mins or so) I turn the steam valve on and it doesn't have a lot of pressure. Give it a couple mins and she's flash boiling like crazy when I flush. Temp seems good....If only I could eliminate the channeling issues now. :D patience right?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Ah, I should have thought of that. The vacuum breaker is sticking. My Semiautomatica did that occasionally. If you tap on the vacuum breaker's pin (e.g., using a knife and flashlight to see it under the bowl), it usually stops sticking, at least for awhile.
Dan Kehn