Faema E61 Legend - To Buy Used?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chrisbodnarphoto

#1: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

I've recently come across a couple of really wonderful local listings for Faema E61 Legends.

The first - a single group - belongs to someone who purchased a house and had the machine included in the price. They claim they aren't coffee drinkers, and they're willing to let it go for what seems like an insanely low price of $2000 CDN.

The second - a two group - seems well loved and seemingly used at home and is listed at $4500 CDN. I fear that starting with a 2 group at home seems ludicrous and will cause more issues (stale water in the 11L boiler etc) than is worth.

While I know the machine isn't exactly new, and it's a typical E61 HX, is there anything in particular I should know about these machines in 2016? I know DB are all the rage these days, and anything with PID's is seemingly easier to operate (I know this is up for debate), is it silly to purchase this machine? Is there any way to modify these machines with some modern niceties as some people do with older Linea's? Are these prices even reasonable?

Most importantly - is there anything I should look for when purchasing this machine in particular? Specific scale or wear points? I will know by Sunday or Monday if it's mine, and I will be scoping it out at that time.

I should note that - even though I would MUCH rather a Slayer machine (which has been heavily considered) - this machine will be used to train extensively at home, as well as potentially be used in the future for a mobile coffee business. For the seemingly measly cost of entry, it seems like a wonderful machine to start with! A great grinder is already on the radar.

Input is greatly appreciated all around!

Advertisement
chrisbodnarphoto (original poster)

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) »

No advice from anyone? I'm hoping to find out if I'm the buyer by Monday, so any/all advice would be helpful. :)

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would suggest seeing if you can at least determine the built date from the boilerplate. That might give you some idea as to how old the machines are and what you might have to expect regarding maintenance at the outset.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

chrisbodnarphoto (original poster)

#4: Post by chrisbodnarphoto (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Great point, and definitely one of the things on my list! Thank you!

Luckily we have a Faema commercial service center just outside of Toronto. I called and they said I could drop it off for a once-over and a cleaning. Grateful for that!