Clever Dripper Ratio Help - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

borisblank wrote:Some folks stir, others bloom, wait then vigorously pour to agitate. I'm in the latter camp.

In either case, recommended steep times usually do include the drawdown.
I'm with Tom. This is immersion brewing. Truly no pre-bloom is needed. You'll get an excellent extraction keeping it simple unless you really like the ritual. :wink:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

leon

#12: Post by leon »

I agree that your ratio is fine. Grinding finer is the first thing I would try, assuming that water temperature is somewhere between 195-205F.

I'm in the no-bloom camp for immersion brews. I pour all the water in vigorously to submerge and wet all the grounds. Some coffees benefit from a few stirs before the drawdown, but most of the time I just give the brewer a few swirls to detach any grounds in the crust from the filter just before draining.

I tend to brew for 3 minutes and then start the drawdown. I'm using V60 filters which seem to drain pretty quickly, so this would depend on what type of filter you're using and your grinder.

borisblank

#13: Post by borisblank »

For some reason, I just can't bring myself to stir my Clever brews. If I don't and just pour water straight away, the coffee floats and crust dominates, and my coffees are thin and underextracted. This is hard to correct by grind.

So maybe it isn't a proper "bloom" in the vein of pourovers, but this "prewetting" allows me to pour afterwards and agitate the brew without stirring, keeps the coffee well immersed during the brew and I get a proper cup.

No idea why I'm so stir-averse, just seems like when I do stir my drawdowns take longer and the brews tend to be bitter. I will say that my experience has been that it's trickier to get a great cup out of Clever brewing than the "if you're not just dumping hot water on to coffee and waiting 4 minutes, you're doing it wrong" camp suggests. Maybe the Filtropa filters really are just much better than these Mellitta #4s - or maybe I really am just doing it wrong...

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

It really helps to have a gooseneck kettle. I'm using one of the Bonavita PID versions. I pour in a swirling motion to make sure all the grounds are wet. No stirring is required. Results are consistent and the process is quite easy.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!