E61 espresso machines vs La Marzocco Linea Mini? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PhotoMax (original poster)

#21: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Quick update...

My new K30 Vario grinder arrived the other day. Wow, is it fast! And quieter than the Rocky I have been using for years.

But I am STILL waiting for the replacement switch and instructions to fix my Lucca. I think the request for the shipment got forgotten? Hopefully it will arrive soon. Its been two weeks since I have been able to use this machine. In the mean time I am getting used to using the K30 with my old Silvia...

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#22: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Max,

I'm very sorry to hear about the delay in getting this part out to you (asked Gil to personally give you a call)! We'll stand behind you and make sure the M58 makes you happy, or we'll bring it back and find the machine that will :D

E61s like the M58 definitely have an easier learning curve than the Linea Mini, particularly due to the shot timer, traditional PID controls and more manageable steam power (I suspect the mechanical pre-infusion is also helping).

Feel free to give me a call any time if you want to compare specs and machines, and let's keep in touch when you get your new switch installed.

Best regards,

@BP

#23: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Better update:

I received the replacement brew switch from Clive yesterday. Gil also sent me a series of large photos that highlighted the procedure, which was really helpful.

Looks like that switch was the issue! A little fiddly but not too bad replacing it. The inner parts of the cabinet box have sharp edges though.

The first test grind with the K30 and the Lucca bottomless portafilter: I knew straight away I need to adjust the time setting to yield more grind. I used the rough setting I had being using with the old Silvia. I think there is a difference in the portafilter volume. The shot was not bad though, a little quick, decent crema, but the taste was good. Will need some experimentation to get it all dialed in. I think I am going to sign up for that 3 hour barista class in Seattle though...

Max

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by mgwolf »

Please give us an update on your coffee in a few days after you're dialed in. Glad it was something simple.

nuketopia

#25: Post by nuketopia »

To get back to the Linea Mini vs. e61 machine -

I recently upgraded from a Quickmill Anita to a Line Mini. I kept my Baratza Vario grinder - which, if you deal with its quirks, will work fine.

I had my Anita for years and got to be quite accustomed to "surfing" the water temperature, as you do with any HX machine. It will pull good shots, pretty reliably. It is a forgiving machine, that will pull a drinkable shot, nearly all the time. However, due to being an HX machine, it didn't have great consistency. It was fairly easy to be in the zone, but you'd be all over the zone.

What the Linea Mini does though, is pull the same shot with near perfect consistency. It is precise and consistent. It will however, reveal the slightest error in your methods and technique. If you get yourself zeroed in, you can pull sweet shot after sweet shot. If you have an issue, like your grinder isn't quite holding its setting (btdt), you'll get sink-shot after sink-shot, until you fix it.

On the upside, you can eek out the absolute best coffee by systematically tweeking things tiny bit-by-bit until it is perfect. It will let you reveal every bit of flavor and character of the beans if you tune your technique to get there.

#26: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

A friend of mine was looking at the Linea Mini but was turned off because you can't as yet plumb it in with a water line. He plans on upgrading to the GS3 instead.

I have seen the Linea at Seattle Coffee Works. It's a really nice looking machine. I think it is a little more understated than the Lucca. I love the look of the Lucca but I have twinges that it might be too much counter bling?

Question: how does a $1695 Anita compare to say one of the more expensive E61 machines like the Lucca M58 or Profittec 700 ???

*** EDIT: I see that Clive is now selling the water plumb kit for the Linea Mini...

tgfoyl1472

#27: Post by tgfoyl1472 »

Long time lurker here. I'm no expert when it comes to espresso machines and the like but for what is worth here is my experience.

I just upgraded my Rocket Giotto (E61 Machine) to a Linea Mini. I had my Giotto for 8 years and still love it. That said, I went to Latte Art class at Seattle Coffee Gear several months back which was sponsored and run by LM staff. That's where I first played hands on a Linea Mini and a GS/3.

I primarily drink milk based drinks (caps and lattes) and after that class I realized how "underpowered" the steam boiler of my Giotto felt in comparison to both the Linea Mini and the GS/3. I was particularly drawn to the Linea Mini because it was less expensive than the GS/3 but furthermore because the steam is actually drier and nicer on the Linea Mini! I believe this is due to the fact that the GS/3 has a no-burn wand vs the Linea Mini having a "burn" wand. To further support this point I guess LM is now selling a "burn" wand setup for the GS/3.

Ok back to Linea Mini, As soon as I got the machine home and set it up I pulled a shot and it was great (to me at least) right of the box. Even better when I steamed some milk I got just pure "wet paint" consistency that until know I have only seen at Vivace Coffee in Seattle :wink:

All in all, I am incredibly stoked with this upgrade. I am going to keep this machine for at least 19 years, since I kept the Giotto for 8 :mrgreen:

#28: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Intersting...

My previous experience for years has been with the basic Rocky and Silvia combination. Now that I have a working Lucca M58 the milk frothing seems amazing...