Someone is giving me an Elektra, Now I need a grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Goldensncoffee

#1: Post by Goldensncoffee »

Hi all,

I'm not new to coffee but am a complete newbie to espresso. I've done a little bit of research on machines and such and they were always a little out of my budget. A friend has been so kind and has told me he is going to give me his spare Elektra SXC Microcasa (Im pretty sure this is the model). I will post pics tomorrow in the espresso machines forum. I'm so excited. Now I need a grinder. I would rather buy something that I will not have to upgrade in the future. My local dealer who sells/services the Elektra machines in NJ has some grinders in stock. I'm just overwhelmed by all the different choices. I've read some good stuff about the Compak grinders but haven't heard much about the K3 Touch. He has this one. Also has a bunch of Mazzers. I would prefer to stay around the K3 price but if this price level is going to get me an inadequate grinder I will spend more. What would you all recommend I pair with this Elektra machine? (I'm all amped up and can't wait to start pulling some shots so forgive me if there is some must read posts that I should be checking out before posting about what grinder to get). I'm not interested in hand grinding at this point.

How do I decide if I want dose/doserless? The machine will be used for my wife and myself (probably 6 shots a day or so total). When we entertain it would be more. We like to have friends over for coffee.

turtle

#2: Post by turtle »

Grinders, doser, doserless are all pretty personal choice items.

Everyone has their personal preference.

I would venture the lowest level grinder that would not be an "interim step" to something "better" would be a super jolly. They seem to be a good "landing spot". Not too big to be kitchen dominaters yet not too small to be an effective production grinder when you have guests over and need to put out some shots in rapid succession.

Nice thing about Mazzer is that you can jump back and forth between doser and doserless with only a screwdriver and a little time to tear down reassemble. Others are a bit more difficult to modify.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee