Italian Coffees. Lets talk about Kimbo, Danesi, Lavazza, Caffe motta, Illy - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TomC
Team HB

#71: Post by TomC »

SonVolt wrote:I received my bag of Kimbo Extra Cream from EspressoZone last week. I like everything about it except for the aftertaste. I wish I'd never heard someone equate robusta to "burn rubber" because that's exactly what lingers in the background of the shot. It makes a great milk drink however where the aftertaste is masked. I doubt I will order it again since CC's FORTY-SIX is very similar but without the wonky aftertaste. What it does have going for it is the fact that it was roasted 2 months ago! I don't think FORT-SIX would fair quite as well 2 months post roast.

This weekend I will be trying Kimbo Superior Blend.

Superior Blend is excellent. It's the only Kimbo blend I'll buy now, if I'm looking for that kind of shot. Much, much better than the 5 random blends I tried from them which were varying degrees of smoldering tire.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SonVolt

#72: Post by SonVolt »

With Kimbo checked off the list, how does Illy compare? Is it in the same ballpark quality-wise?

mikeness

#73: Post by mikeness replying to SonVolt »

Not sure what prices are like in the US, but in Canada Illy sells often for $16 per 250g which equates to nearly $30 per lb. While I enjoy these Italian blends, I don't think I've found one where I would pay a premium over 3rd wave roasters. I see them as great staples for a product that I consume 2-3 times a day and Sweet Tooth Espresso, Cafe Neve, 49th Coffee, etc, as ways to treat myself.

gr2020

#74: Post by gr2020 »

Ok, I'm inspired. Just ordered a bag of Kimbo Superior from espressozone...

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#75: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

Ranking
1- Kimbo superior blend
4- Caffé Motta lounge bar
4- Caffe Motta espresso bar
4- lavazza super crema
5- Segafredo intermezzo
6- Vergnano
8- Danessi
8- Kimbo Napoletano

Id say red bird coffee is equivalent then caffé motta. 49th parallel is hit and miss, first time I received my coffee from them, I thought it was the best coffe ive ever had, bettering even metropolis coffee. the next two orders werent as good. I think ill order soon from them and try café névé.

mikeness

#76: Post by mikeness »

murphythecat87 wrote: 49th parallel is hit and miss, first time I received my coffee from them, I thought it was the best coffe ive ever had, bettering even metropolis coffee. the next two orders werent as good. I think ill order soon from them and try café névé.
I've found 49th to be pretty consistent, however it seems stales quickly once the bag has been opened so my shots near the bottom of the bag aren't great. Cafe Neve was something I stumbled upon at a cafe and was blown away... really easy to pull and really balanced acidity. Would recommend it over 49th.

#77: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) replying to mikeness »

great! since cafe neve is in mtl, ill try it
btw, which blend do you enjoy from cafe neve?

mikeness

#78: Post by mikeness »

I think it was their standard blend as it only said Cafe Neve espresso on the bag. Best to open a week off roast I've found, and it'll keep giving up until 14 days past.

#79: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

Just bought Kimbo Bar Extra Cream. its priced at 21$ instead of 24$ for the kimbo bar superior. not sure why the extra cream is cheaper but both have the "bar" appelation and same package.

Very good, indeed its very smooth almost sugary and a touch of chocolate at the end. I think its a bit less refined then the kimbo Superior buts its definitely on par with cafe motta maybe even better.

ill venture that any kimbo bar range are very good. http://www.kimbo.co.uk/coffee-blends/bar-range.aspx
anyone have experience with the Bar Prestige, Unique or Premium? I think ill try them all

h3yn0w

#80: Post by h3yn0w »

How do these beans fare after the bag has been opened for a couple of weeks ? Any value in freezing these beans after the bag is opened?