Italian Coffees. Lets talk about Kimbo, Danesi, Lavazza, Caffe motta, Illy - Page 25

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Eclipso

#241: Post by Eclipso »

Is there an online retailer that sells the Oro Premium in the United States?
☕ Here's to feelin' good all the time. ☕

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#242: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

pj.walczak wrote:Yes.
cool
ill pm you when im ready

I just bought Lavazza top class! its very good. i just opened the bag so will need to air for 2-3 days before I can comment, but so far there's still that typical lavazza aftertaste im not too fond of, but its very smooth and definitely more refined then the super crema i think

thecoffeefield

#243: Post by thecoffeefield replying to murphythecat87 »

I love Lavazza Top Class

#244: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

after 3 days with lavazza Top Class, gotta say im dissapointed. the first taste is delicious, but I get acidic after taste. not better then the Super crema yet more expensive. the danessi gold is much more to my liking.

1- Danesi Gold

2- Oro caffe Premium. potentially better then the kimbo superior and Top Class.
2- Kimbo superior
2- Lavazza Top Class

5- Lavazza super crema

8- Caffé Motta lounge bar
8- Caffe Motta espresso bar
8- Segafredo intermezzo

10- Vergnano

11- Danesi red

12- Kimbo Napoletano
12- Kimbo extra cream

#245: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

not sure what hapened, but with 14g in 14g out, I kinda like the top class now. I get some strong chocolate flavor, maybe it had to vent a little

thecoffeefield

#246: Post by thecoffeefield »

Caffe Motta Espresso Bat and Lounge Bar are on my list to try. I'm currently going through a bag of Danessi Gold. Only had the chance to try it for Drip. I tried Segafredo in Roma when I was in Italy last year and I thought it was a little strong but chocolaty at the same time. Will give it a shot after the Motta. Kimbo Superior and Lavazza Top Class are both still my favorite Italian blends.

Spitz.me

#247: Post by Spitz.me »

I really wanted these MUCH cheaper Italian coffees, like the Kimbo Superior to be my daily driver, but there's something about even the best of these coffees that comes out in the shot that just doesn't sit well with me. It must be the quality/staleness of the beans. There's something that tastes off to me that I can't get rid of unless it's in milk. I attributed this particular taste to the staleness of the beans because I've had Italian-style fresh roasted beans and that taste isn't there. It's not the robusta either, this taste is there whether robusta is in the blend or not. If anything, it's even worse in a blend that contains Robusta.

I guess if I had a question, it would be, "has anyone been able to pull the shots in a way that this stale flavour is faint or gone?" I've tried up-dosing and down-dosing to 14g in an old-skool basket. I've tried changing grinders and temps. The shot changes, yes, but that stale flavour seems to be apparent at all times.
LMWDP #670

thecoffeefield

#248: Post by thecoffeefield replying to Spitz.me »

I can't help you there simply because I don't detect the same staleness you're mentioning here but I would highly recommend checking with the vendor before buying the closer you are to the production date the better it will taste. Also, make sure to store it in an air tight storage canister like the Airscape.

Spitz.me

#249: Post by Spitz.me replying to thecoffeefield »

I've done all that. Eventually, all the coffees get to a point - which is almost immediately after day one - where this sense of staleness in the coffee exists. I've come to terms with the fact that I don't enjoy any of these coffees enough to make them daily drivers. It's intriguing to me that many are very happy using these blends regularly. I just figured I'd post my thoughts on why I can't do it. A couple of times a year though, I try another bag of Kimbo Superior (because I found this blend to be best for me) and a couple of times a year I'm reminded that these Italian coffees aren't what I'm looking for. Maybe that's really the issue. :?:
LMWDP #670

Chert

#250: Post by Chert replying to Spitz.me »

No doubt. I scratch my head about what large groups of people seem to like. (The corolary: and have to accept that some people just don't like kombucha. :shock: ) Even, why ever choose a daily driver anyway?
LMWDP #198