Mill City 500 gm Sample Roaster Owner Experience - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mishkaya

#11: Post by mishkaya »

keno wrote:Seems pretty bogus that the North Roaster Forum restricts viewing access to only registered users. The Huky Forum and HB for that matter are open to all members of the public to view threads (with registration only being necessary to post).
It didn't restrict me... :?:
I am registered now, but didn't register right away, and was able to browse the forums.

johnny4lsu

#12: Post by johnny4lsu »

keno wrote:Seems pretty bogus that the North Roaster Forum restricts viewing access to only registered users. The Huky Forum and HB for that matter are open to all members of the public to view threads (with registration only being necessary to post).
Bogus is a little harsh don't you think? It's still being developed. Try now and it should work.

SJM

#13: Post by SJM »

This is not quite the case. At the HUKY forum no pictures or attachments or profiles or downloads (i.e. the real goodies) are available/visible unless/until you register and log in.

robmatic

#14: Post by robmatic »

It seems to me that registering for a forum basically says "I'd like to be part of the community", while refusing to register says "I want access to all the awesome information people have contributed but I myself have no intention of contributing." Is registering really such a burden? Isn't it free?

Anyway, this all has nothing to do with the subject of the thread, and hopefully @drgary comes along soon and deletes all these off-topic messages.

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

I think that's a valid request because it was mentioned here as a source of additional information. I see that Johnny changed it. OK, now back on topic for this roaster. Thanks!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

keno

#16: Post by keno »

johnny4lsu wrote:Bogus is a little harsh don't you think? It's still being developed. Try now and it should work.
Thanks Johnny, it works now. Sorry, if that came across as harsh but I thought it was a forum policy to restrict anyone but registered users from accessing, which I'm personally strongly opposed to and was just expressing my opinion about that.

Glad it was just an error and you were able to fix it so quickly. I know there are a lot of lurkers on HB who benefit from others posts and some may eventually join as a result. Also, with a roaster specific forum I'd think you'd want to make it viewable by those who may be contemplating a purchase.

Best,
Ken

SJM

#17: Post by SJM »

Hey, the North Forum should be glad that they have DrGary as a member. Most other forums aren't allowed to be used as sources of "additional information" here.

Good for everyone to be able to share.
You go Johnny !!!!

drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary replying to SJM »

Other web resources are used as references all the time. The restriction is on cross-posting.

I'm going to ask everyone to please get back on topic discussing the Mill City 500 gm sample roaster. If you've got further concerns about other forum access, let's PM each other.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SAB

#19: Post by SAB »

I'm still learning this roaster and artisan. I guess I'll stop putting that at the beginning of my posts, because the reality is, for any roaster it's a continual learning process. But it is still new.

Despite my roaster newness, my roasts are tasting great. I'm coming from a Coretto (hg/bm) roaster, and I would say that the roasts so far taste "rounder". Less harsh in espresso. The acidity has moved from the front of the tongue to the middle of the tongue. I'm roasting to approximately the same finish time (post start of FC), and similar length of roast 10-12 minutes.

I'll have to say, my finish (aka development) time percent has drifted up from under 25, up to now 30%, as I've been trying to figure things out, so I'll have to see if that impression of "round" taste persists as I get better control of the finish.