Blonding (?) problem Rocket R58 - newbie

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
germannewbie

#1: Post by germannewbie »

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to high end espresso machines and excuse my english - it's not my mother tongue. I have a Rocket R58 since a couple of weeks now and I am spending a lot of time pulling shots to get it right. My equipments currently is:

Rocket R58
Rocket Fausto Grinder
VST 7g basket (I only drink singles so that is why I bought this)
Original Rocket single portafilter
Coffee: 80/20 locally roasted in Berlin

I am having difficulty towards the end of a shot. I am getting the basic parameters right (25g in 25seconds) and the shots taste fairly good. However towards the end of a shot (after 15s max) the flow becomes very noisy (is this the right word?) and I think it is "too blonde".

Can anyone suggest what I can try to prevent this? I would like to get it right.

Best regards
Mark

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

You need to grind finer. 25g is a very high ratio for 7g of coffee. I'm guessing it's watery, weak, and possibly bitter. Adjust your grind and Aim for 14g in 25 seconds.

germannewbie (original poster)

#3: Post by germannewbie (original poster) »

Thanks so much for your fast answer. Wow - I thought the "rule of thumb" was 1g per second?

keno

#4: Post by keno replying to germannewbie »

That would be about right if you were using a 14 gram (double) dose. But for a single you are significantly overextracting.

zapa

#5: Post by zapa »

Follow these rules

for every 1 gram of coffee in the portafilter and 1gram of liquid out is a called a ristretto. So if you put 7 grams in and got 7 out in 25-30 seconds that is a ristretto.

for every 1 gram of coffee in the portafilter and 2 gram of liquid out is a called a espresso. So if you put 7 grams in and got 14 out in 25-30 seconds that is a espresso.

for every 1 gram of coffee in the portafilter and 3 gram of liquid out is a called a lungo. So if you put 7 grams in and got 21 out in 25-30 seconds that is a lungo.

Currently you are making shots in the lungo ratio. Grind finer and to slow down the shots.

germannewbie (original poster)

#6: Post by germannewbie (original poster) »

Hi all! Thanks so much for all your help. I am trying to improve. I now calibrated everything so that I get 14-15g out of my 7g of coffee. However the problem persists, maybe now just a bit later. After 15s max the good, consistent chocolaty flow turns into a very blond, noisy, dancing flow of water. :? :roll:

I am tamping with a 41mm tamper for my VST 7g basket and I also use a compatible funnel (filler).

Any suggestions how I can improve? That would be great!

Mark

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema »

Blinding is also controlled by temp - you may be a few degrees to hot.

Check out the resource page and look at some of the newbie content. It's really not just for newbies - there are some real gem articles. And most of all, take a look at the two articles that have been sticky'd - they are classics and will directly address what you need to work through.

( I think you're getting close to nirvana)