Anyone get ashiness when icing down coffee/espresso? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
beer&mathematics

#11: Post by beer&mathematics »

What I prefer is to make hot espresso (with low pressure) pulled directly into a chilled glass of iced milk using lighter roasted fruity coffees.

I like to use my EsFg, EspressoForge, with the following "weak" pressure profile: pre-infuse with 0 pressure while filling for 20-30 seconds, 1 bar for additional 10 seconds, then ramp up quickly to 6 bar and slowly decrease to 4 bar over the remaining time (usually additional 25-40 seconds). The result is a really smooth and light shot that's not that great on it's own but makes amazing ice lattes. To my tongue, it tastes like a milk-chocolate with berries milk shake (all flavors are really mellow).

Another tip :idea: I recommend (picked it up from TomC) for those who make their own ice cubes is to cover the tray is freezer bags. This removes any bad smells and tastes from the ice guaranteeing a clean cup.
LMWDP #431

beer&mathematics

#12: Post by beer&mathematics »

Hi EspressoForge!
EspressoForge wrote:I use room temp water and pre brew for 10-30 minutes then pull the shot as normal. You may try to pre wet the puck for several minutes, then lock into a cold machine and pull. I do mine differently but this may work on other machines.
Woah--does this really work? What machine do you use for this process?

If you use a cold machine with cold water (if I am understanding correctly), what pressure is the shot made at?

Immediately, this reminds me of the Aeropress recipe. What are the similarities and differences?
LMWDP #431