Recommend a Gaggia Classic as first purchase?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JesseB

#1: Post by JesseB »

Hi all! I'm considering entering the world of espresso making, but I wanted to run my roadmap of purchases by some experts first.

My idea is that I'll start with a Gaggia Classic as my first machine. It seems pretty solid and reasonably priced (refurbished on wholelattelove for around 300), and as I'm unsure if this is something I want to pursue I'd like to limit my budget for now. Currently I'd just be using this for myself and my girlfriend so a double boiler and other bells/whistles aren't necessary, hence the choice of the Classic. Lattes and caps will probably only be had on rare occasions, so I'm not to concerned with it's shortcomings when steaming. I may even upgrade the wand if that changes.

My current grinder is a Capresso Infinity (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AR7SY) which I know isn't the best but I'd prefer to stick with it at least for the first several months until I've convinced myself that I'm serious about making great espresso. I've read around the forums and am aware that the grind is perhaps the most important aspect of creating a consistently good shot, but I'd like to hold off at least a few months on upgrading. I think just having the ability to make decent shots of espresso at home will tie me over for a while.

Depending on my level of seriousness I'm thinking I'd upgrade to either a Baratza Vario (semi committed to the art), or jump all the way to a Vario K30 (refurbished to save some money; fully committed to the art). I realize the K30 is a lot of money to drop, but if I'm truly serious I want a great grinder that'll last me until I'm in the ground (or close to it).

I think I'd stick with this setup until the Gaggia is on it's last leg, at which point I'd figure out if it's time to step up the machine as well.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

It may sound like a plan and if you are not sure how serious you will be about this, I can understand you are reluctant to start making big investments. However, espresso is all about consistency and if you start out with all lower end equipment, you will most likely struggle tremendously to achieve any consistent results and you may be in for more frustration than if you reach a bit deeper into your pocket.
In this regard, since you are considering it, my suggestion is to get the Vario from the get-go. If you prefer a more solid build at a similar price, consider a Compak, Mazzer, Macap or Quamar, but the Vario is held in high regard for quality in the cup.
If you are not certain about your long-term interest in espresso-making at home, you can start off with a mokapot and above all freshly roasted beans, but at least you will be fine in the grinder department.
Later on, if you are willing to take the plunge for a decent espresso machine, skip the Classic and invest in a Heat Exchanger machine. Then you will have a combo that will get you lastingly enjoyable results relatively easily.
Upgraditis is a risk we all face at some point and may always be lurking later on. :D

In all fairness, I did not follow this path when I made my purchase. I picked up the HX espresso machine right away and settled for the smallest grinder with a solid feel for easy accomodation in my kitchen. Since then I upgraded the grinder after 2.5 years to at least have stepless grind adjustment, but I sure do enjoy my combo's output.
Bert

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

Honestly, the Classic gets usable if:

- you have better temperature stability by adding a PID. it can run cold with sour shots by default. The workaround is temperature surfing.

- the default baskets aren't great. VST tastes way better but is more finicky for pours...

- low end grinder just brings headaches. I started with an Encore, modded it extensively. But moving up to a Pharos made a huge difference and as it is manual and an amazing value, it's not as convenient as an electric but it has bigger and better burrs than electrics near its price range

- steam and should be replaced with one from Silvia... Huge difference

If you have the money, spend first on the best Grinder you can afford. Ignore that advice at your peril.... Many of us do and end up with headaches and buying several grinders.
LMWDP #603

TheCastanza

#4: Post by TheCastanza »

Going only from personal experience, my recommendation is to skip the gaggia classic if youre relatively sure making espresso at home is something you want to do. If you really dont know, maybe get the gaggia (although i really dont know if your encore will even be able to pull anything good at all with the wide adjustments unless you get lucky). Another solution could be go to your coffee shop for a month, only drink espresso drinks or even better straight espresso and get a feel if its something you want all the time that way. If you like the espresso, youll probably like it at home.

I was in much the same position as you about 6 months ago and upgraded from a cheap pressurized set up to the gaggia classic and refurb vario. While the gaggia does pull good shots sometimes, I find the temperature surfing (which involves a fair amount of waiting and guessing) to be just too frustrating. I don't have time in the morning to pull 3 or four shots and each time waiting for the boiler to cycle on and off then pressing the steam button and counting in my head and doing this whole thing that takes at least several minutes per shot. Its not even so much as the time as how annoying I find it and even with all the song and dance it ultimately being guesswork with mixed results.

I'm in the market for a new machine myself and over at chris coffee they have a good deal on an Izzo HX (https://www.chriscoffee.com/Izzo-Vivi-PID-p/mc510.htm). Again, lots more expensive, but I would have saved myself the ~400 i spent on the gaggia if I would have just gotten a "prosumer" machine right off the bat.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Plus one on what happycat said.

Used a GC for several years and while it can put out some great espressi the grinder is important...(used preground from a coffee shop that sold fresh roasted beans, it worked ok but lacked the ability to adjust).
Temp stability is poor so temp surfing is a must, or PID...
Adjusting the OPV and taking all of the above into account the GC can put out great cups but I'd only consider it when considerably cheaper (as in second hand), most work if needed can be done by yourself if you're willing and able to. (there is a good GC forum)

My advice would be to get a good grinder and a sh machine, whatever puts out good espresso that happens to be available second hand.
LMWDP #483