Digital heat gun??? What is wrong with my coffee? - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Spyderman24-7

#31: Post by Spyderman24-7 »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but would like to let the OP know that heat gun roasting is alive and well. Like anything else, some trial and error is to be expected, but well worth the time and effort based on my experience. Actually don't know why I waited so long to home roast.

If using the HG/DB method I highly recommend using a 'slow feed' bowl. I started out using a flat bottom bowl, but found myself chasing the coffee around to apply heat evenly. I then bought a slow feed bowl which allowed me to roast very evenly as I simply moved the gun nozzle round and round, just focusing on maintaining consistent speed and depth.

Martin

#32: Post by Martin »

BillyB wrote:I would like to take the opportunity to welcome Martin back to the Forum. . . . . ..
Thanks for the nice words. I haven't exactly left the forum, but one of the characteristics of HG roasting is that there isn't that much new to post about; unless, of course, people are intent on adding all sorts of complications. :D Then, I might chime in with my oft-repeated encouragement for parsimony; namely, keep it simple unless you can clearly identify the added value of complexity.

And by way of analogy, many years ago I was gifted a chronograph watch: two, maybe three, dials on the face, a rotating bezel, and some other stuff. I learned (before I forgot) the functions of each and never used any of them. It was a very impressive instrument to look at, but not optimal for telling time amidst all the clutter. Now, surely, there are people who use--even require-- the functions of these ubiquitous watches; and there are some for whom 3 dials are superior to two, one, or none. And I make no judgements if the dials are just "there" for aesthetics, pride of ownership, or whatever. On the other hand, it's clearly not a matter of how best to tell time.
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

Advertisement
ripcityman

#33: Post by ripcityman »

Your heat gun roaster is very elegant. Good job.

Unrooted (original poster)

#34: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

When you get a new coffee is there a specific roast time you shoot for? How do you then decide how to roast those beans next??

Harborseal

#35: Post by Harborseal »

Hi! I'm new here but not new to home roasting. I remember when the HG/DB method was introduced in the Sweetmaria's email list.

I think the heat gun method is a difficult way to start roasting. Once you know the smells, sights and sound of a roast it's a great way to roast. Until you know those aspects of the roast you need to use a method that frees your mind to concentrate on those things. Popcorn poppers and other inexpensive air roasters are great ways to learn.

The heat gun method allows incredible customization. As a consequence, repeatability is more difficult.

If your beans are not roasting evenly as someone mentioned earlier it's obvious as it's happening. You can choose to slow the roast to let some catch up or ignore the faulty beans. Even better, you can produce a blend of different roast levels by heating a portion of the beans more or by tossing out some beans at city and letting others roast further. Another way of getting a variety of roast level flavors is to bring all the beans to an even medium roast then quickly increasing the temperature so that just the outside of the beans go to full city while the insides are still at a lighter stage. This is all much easier with a heat gun than any other roasting method.