Tips on getting a stuck E61 group gasket off?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
okcomputer

#1: Post by okcomputer »

So, I'll state at the outset that I haven't ever changed the group gasket on my espresso maker (Quickmill Anita), it's about 6 years old. It's definitely time now, and the rubber is completely hardened. I've had no luck trying to pry it with a screw driver. Even tried tapping into it with a screw, but no luck. Any advice?

okcomputer (original poster)

#2: Post by okcomputer (original poster) »

Also, in the eventuality that I do get it removed, is the replacement gasket the same size as what is commonly available for e61 groups?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OX59S5Q

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

I've heard of people just digging them out if they are old and brittle. AFIAK, they are harder to remove the older they get.. before moving to silicone gaskets I replaced my Oscar gasket every few months or so.

I'm not sure on sizing.

As far as tools go, I've heard of people using dental picks, a small flat head screw drivers does the trick for me.

h3yn0w

#4: Post by h3yn0w »

Use your blank filter basket.

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

On my first gaggia classic I had to use a narrow wood chisel to get the fossilized rubber gasket off, worked pretty good.
LMWDP #483

okcomputer (original poster)

#6: Post by okcomputer (original poster) »

Ok, success. It took another go with a smaller screw. I screwed it into the gasket and then grabbed the head with a pair of pliers to pull, and it came right out.

Next issue- After cleaning the diffuser a bit, it looks like their is some oxidation on there. Thoughts? Can this be cleaned, or does it need to be replaced (of course- it's not coming out easy...)

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w »

Unscrew it and soak it in a vinegar and water mix.

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

If that was my machine I would disassemble and then remove the group from the machine. I would invert it, cover all the other openings, and fill the shower area in the grouphead with a good cleaner (Urnex, TSP, OxyClean, et.al.) and let it soak until it was clean. You will likely need all new sleas seals inside the group anyway , so why not do it right?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Remove the dispersion screw with a tool similar to this:

It is a stainless steel fender washer with a flat ground on it. Then do what Randy G. suggested.

Do yourself a big favor and order a new screen and CafeLat silicone grouphead gasket from Chris' Coffee plus any other parts you will likely need after the disassembly and inspection.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com