Nuova Simonelli MDX 3D printed hopper

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
etiennedb

#1: Post by etiennedb »

Hi all,

I bought a used Simonelli MDX. It is a very nice grinder. It came with a huge bean hopper, as seen in the pictures. I decided to create a smaller hopper using 3D printing, and I thought I would share it with you. I did a CAD model of the hopper: the design is based on the factory hopper, and the size was driven by the amount of room available under the cabinets.

I tried to reproduce the pattern of the little star-shaped plastic feature at the bottom of the hopper. I also included a little "window": it's a little pocket that was intended to let me see how much bean was left in the hopper while looking from the side. I just put clear tape on it and I can see through.

I printed it out at work, as I have access to some printers for personal projects. The print was very nice, except for a leg of the interior feature that was too thin and partially broke when I removed the support material. It fits nicely on my grinder, except for the fact that there was initially a little metal tab on the top of the grinder to allow the hopper to be fixed to the grinder. Consequently, my new hopper can't sit nicely on the grinder. It still works fine. It contains about 80g of beans, which is not a lot. I end up filling it every 2 cups and I think that it allows a nice and smooth delivery of the beans to the burrs.

It fits nicely under the cabinets. However, because it is not pushed all the way to the back of the counter, the top of the hopper is visible, so the window is not super relevant.

If I were to do it over again, I would: print everything thicker, let some room for the little grinder tab, integrate a lid, forget about the little window and I would also make the hopper as tall as possible: I let half of an inch of play under the cabinets, but that represents a potential of a lot of coffee beans compared to the current design.

I could send the files if someone wants to reproduce it.
Next mod, make it doserless... (I've seen a lot of post about this on this forum!)
Cheers!

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Very cool! Nice work with a 3D printer.
LMWDP #603

etiennedb (original poster)

#3: Post by etiennedb (original poster) »

Thanks Happycat! I saw a bunch of very nice and creative posts on 3D printing on home-barista!

whitehawk

#4: Post by whitehawk »

Nice work! I'm deciding if I want to keep my MDX or go for the friendlier HG-1 for single dosing...

If you want to get rid of the doser it comes off quite easily. I was just looking at the NS site and am considering buying parts 15050034 and 15050035 to add the chute from the MDX On-Demand model. It appears the main body piece is the same on the MDX and the on-demand model so I believe it should be a simple and attractive solution.

esspii

#5: Post by esspii »

I would love to try to reproduce this. Could you send the files? Thanks!

sanzrobinson

#6: Post by sanzrobinson »

I'm very interested in making doserless using parts from the new on demand... brilliant idea!

As far I can see from http://www.nuovadistribution.com/images ... DEMAND.pdf
only a single screw is need to connect 15050034 and 150050035 to the body of the grinder. Does it look the same to you guys? I wonder what are the specs of the screw.