Bunn DBC vs. Bunn-O-Matic G3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mj05

#1: Post by mj05 »

I'm looking for used grinder for my small roastery and I've found used DBC for $400 and G3 for around $300.Which one should I buy? Can I convert both of them into "Bunnzillas"? I'll need to grind 5# batches 2 - 3 per week.

Shife

#2: Post by Shife »

I have a Bunn FPG2 DBC. The solenoid control doors eliminate the popcorn issue of the LPG. Yes, you can do the Ditting burr swap. I use mine daily for brew coffee. I single dose and grind into a stainless jar from a Mahlkoenig Lab grinder. I'm quite happy with it.

It is ugly, loud, and my wife made me put an electrical outlet in the broom closet to hide it. It's great. She actually quit using our Smart Grinder and uses the Bunn exclusively.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

The G3 is intended for grinding large quantities at once, the other is designed to grind a small fixed amount on demand. I have a G2 which is the same thing with a smaller hopper, 2lb instead of 3lb I think. If you can look at the G3, make sure to inspect the burrs. Not so much to see if they are any good but to see if you can remove them. So bring a large flat screwdriver, a small flat screwdriver and a number 2 Phillips so you can look inside. If they've never been cleaned they can stick for a number of reasons and while getting them off is not that hard, if they don't come off it gives you bargaining leverage. I got my last one for $100 cash because some employee in change of listing thing on craigs list screwed up, the boss was annoyed but he let me leave with it for $100. It was pretty messed up as these things go, must have been a pound or more of coffee inside because the hopper gasket was installed wrong.

Ira

Shife

#4: Post by Shife »

If you set the timer on the FPG correctly you could grind 3lbs non stop very quickly. A "G" series is probably preferrable, but the FPG can do the same. The timer is nice on the FPG as it automatically shuts off after grinding, but it's only seconds anyway.