Compak K10 vs. Fiorenzato F71 for single dosing - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
gophish

#21: Post by gophish »

I haven't used, or even seen a Fiorenzato for that matter, but I just started using a K10PB with finger guard removed and modified doser vanes and my retention is typically .1g or less when single dosing. I weigh my dose in a metal restaurant condiment ramekin, dump the dose into the throat, place the ramekin in the throat to prevent popcorning, grind until all the beans are through the burrs (I'm typically dosing into the PF while this is taking place), sweep the chute, bump the grinder back on, sweep again, pull the rest through the doser, and if it's the last shot of the day or I'm being very particular I brush the nooks and crannies of the doser, more for cleanliness than anything.

Depending on the coffee and roast level, I don't usually ever WDT and have great results in the 18g VST, IMS Precision double, and EP HQ 14g ridgeless. This week, I have been pulling some shots of some filter oriented roasts from Mountain Air (Yurko and Karinga AB) and those have required WDT in the VST baskets to get nice even pours, but that seems to have more to do with the roast level and profile of those coffees.

That sounds like a lot, and quite frankly it's more work than I was doing when single dosing my Vario, but to me it's worth it for the higher quality and consistency in the cup. Now, having owned this for a month now, is it any less work or any faster than the HG-one routine? Probably not. And in nearly all circumstances the hand grinding really isn't a negative to me for 1-3 shots a day, but if and when I do want to pull multiple shots or throw a hopper on, I have the option, so I appreciated that factor. I also appreciated that I didn't have to purge anything as I frequently switch coffees and like the flexibility and low waste single dosing offers. IMO, it seems you have a few (very general) options and you just need to decide which routine is right for you: bump and sweep with a doser, rdt wdt and hand grind, or purge a bit to clear out any old grinds. I don't think there is any right, wrong, or best, but more of what is best for you.

Sorry, that went on a bit of a tangent, but to the secondary conversation taking place in this thread it seemed relevant.
Versalab

briguy_78 (original poster)

#22: Post by briguy_78 (original poster) »

Once again, thank you to everyone that posted their thoughts. I ended up getting an e10 after a lengthy discussion with a retailer. While the fiorenzato was nice, there just wasn't enough out there on the interweb to convince me to go that way. I toyed with the idea of getting a Peak, but was talked out of it even it seems like a fantastic machine as well, but probably not ideal for me and they didn't have any in stock.

Thanks again!

#23: Post by briguy_78 (original poster) »

Well, I finally received my E10 and have used it for 2 days now. What a beast. I've sacrificed a few pounds of old beans to season and get it calibrated. My initial observations:
- the unit is huge especially with the hopper (when my wife saw the massive box she asked, "wtf is that!"); one of the screws on the burr collar was not tightened down all the way and protrudes higher the others and in certain spots, it is not smooth or easy to adjust/move the collar
- It really is a big difference from my Mazzer; with my Mazzer there was always clumping and with my VST baskets at 18/19/20 g it never filled the basket...with the E10, I consistently get nice fluffy grinds that fill the basket
- the E10 is a bit messy and it kicks off a stray grinds that you need to sweep up after each use, maybe because it's new and will hopefully get better
- I ordered the Orphan Espresso mini cup and it looks great, I load it up, purge and then grind for my shot
- the consistency of shots really is night and day from the Mazzer, has it changed my life and does my espresso taste so good that it was worth the cost of the upgrade, probably not, but it is good
- even tried a few shots with my naked portafilter and it also worked well; with my Mazzer it was hit or miss and usually had the odd spray

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. In the end I'm pretty happy with my purchase...is it perfect for me and my single dosing routine, no, but it works.

DanoM

#24: Post by DanoM »

When I first got my Compak K10 the collar was difficult to adjust. Eventually, I got smart enough to follow advice from these forums and purchased some Super Lube synthetic grease. Removed the collar, cleaned everything with a toothbrush and microfiber cloth, lubed it up and it's been quite easy to adjust ever since.
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030- ... B000XBH9HI

I'm sure there are others that will work fine too. It's a food equipment safe product, and a little goes a long way. That tube will last me a few lifetimes I think.
LMWDP #445

#25: Post by briguy_78 (original poster) »

Excellent, thank you. I have some Haynes Lubri-film which is food safe. I will try that.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by JohnB. »

I've used the Haynes Lubri-Film to lube my K10's threads for over 6 years now. Works fine, just remember that it is petroleum based so you don't want to use it on most o'rings. I have a tube of the Dow Molykote 111 that I use on o'rings & lever seals.
LMWDP 267

DanoM

#27: Post by DanoM »

I have Dow/Molykote 111 that I use on o-rings too, great stuff!
On my K10 I made the mistake of using that for the collar adjustment. It didn't help much at all since that stuff is not only a lubricant but also a sealant - making things move only slightly better.
Finally getting the Super Lube in there made all the difference in adjustment.
Wish I knew more about lubricants sometimes... :wink:
LMWDP #445