Rio de Janeiro cafes

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
altiplano

#1: Post by altiplano »

Looking for recommends on cafes to check out for good coffee.

Had an okay effort on a cappuccino at Terzetto Cafe in Ipanema but looking for more...

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I scoured the area back in 2009, not finding much, but the few small cafes I did find were cute and the service was extremely hospitable. I bet it's already gotten better over the last few years and with the world events flowing in, I'd bet there'd be at least a brief spike in higher quality spots.

Please do share any info/pictures of any good ones you do find!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

altiplano (original poster)

#3: Post by altiplano (original poster) »

Did go to Cafe Curto.

Almost gave up trying to find it as the rain poured - It's not particularly obvious given that the spot on the map on their FB page is a little off (middle of a park across the street) and Google map puts it a block away from the actual location... And it's not on street level...

Anyway, I persevered and was rewarded with a very good cappuccino and an excellent espresso of their lightest roast.

The concept is different. 2 choices - cap or espresso and pay what you think is fair in the bowl on the way out.

They are running a 2 group LM for the espresso line and a 3 group LM for the capa line. Drop what you think is fair in the box on the way out... I also took 2 bags of beans to bring home and got to talking with them - basically he said their cost is 9R / 300g bag and 1R per capa, bit less for an espresso... Giving that much keeps them running... Seems a popular spot, they were running flat out while I was there seems lots of regulars too.

The space is Spartan, a bench along the window and a couple long tables to stand at. Not exactly a spot to sit back and ponder the world over your coffee, but a good spot to grab a coffee while in downtown Rio.

max

#4: Post by max »

Do you have any other experiences or recommendations to share? I will be going there very soon.