Bubbly Cappuccino - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
VisionScientist

#11: Post by VisionScientist »

Looks like beautiful foam, which has been well poured. =) Here are some of my scientific, wild-ass guesses.

It also looks like you let the foam sit with and without espresso in it and only the cappuccino collapsed. If this is so, then it supports my hypothesis which is that the crema is your culprit. Oil is the arch-enemy of foam. The oils that are in the crema which is sitting on the foam are popping your well-crafted bubbles. A similar thing will happen if you accidentally get egg-yolk in your whites when making a meringue. I suspect that different coffees and preparations will affect the amount of free (non-emulsified) oils in the crema.

Perhaps try to pour a couple of ounces of milk in the coffee, and mix it up to integrate the crema, then pour the rest of the milk. This seems to help the bubble collapse, but it will reduce the contrast between your light and dark in the latte art.

Luckily, the coffee only needs to be pretty long enough to take a couple of sips.

clyq

#12: Post by clyq »

It's not unusual for the latte to bubble up after sitting, however, usually the bubbles are tiny. I think it's really interesting how your bubbles are huge.

BenCoulombe

#13: Post by BenCoulombe »

I've been experiencing a similar issue recently (with different beans and different milk) and since I'm still new to this world I haven't been able to identify the reason or a solution yet.

I think it's interesting that you let sit the milk without espresso to compare and will certainly do the same. At least this might help rule out the steamed milk itself.

I was also starting to suspect the contact with espresso was in some way responsible because in some drinks that I poured there was a bubble attack only/mostly in the darker colored areas and less where the foam was thicker.

Something disintegrating the lower level microfoam would turn into larger bubbles which then only follow the rule of gravity.

I'll also try the mixing the crema with a bit of milk.

I've also read something some time ago about someone who had trouble with his milk pitcher because he used the dishwasher and some detergent residue was hindering his steaming process (I don't wash the pitcher in the dishwasher but I do wash my cups in the dishwasher).

jdrock (original poster)

#14: Post by jdrock (original poster) »

I can confirm that the issue is due to the beans roasting profile, but exactly the root cause I cannot comment. Unless some roaster can support that.
It is not the milk or frothing issues and not even talking about leaving the coffee after some minutes. As you can see the bubbles were big and popping. Microform won't give you that kind of rate until changing the whole coffee outlook.
You should be able to notice the art on the foam even after you have finished the drink. In this case it is totally hopeless.
Next time if I have the same issue, I will try to grind and leave it for 15 min before brewing. Just to "stale" the coffee abit.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#15: Post by EspressoForge »

How light is the coffee roasted? I suspect acidity as the culprit. Heat milk, add lemon juice, milk curdles...then you press and strain to make a hard fresh cheese.

jdrock (original poster)

#16: Post by jdrock (original poster) »

No, actually it is not light roasted. The profile is medium and not beyond the darker end.