Don't talk to customers on Facebook

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
wearashirt

#1: Post by wearashirt »

The cafe is such a social playground. It's easy to gain 500 new friends just by being a cashier. I wish Facebook could help business owners tag friends as "customers", so you're reminded not to talk to them too casually.

day

#2: Post by day »

Ouch, definitely sounds like there os a good backstory. Keep your account locked and never even let a customer find you is my position. As a teacher I never friend coteacher or have settings that allow students to find me:) feel free to share the story:)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

wearashirt (original poster)

#3: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

Well, not the worst happened. I gave into temptation by writing a playful comment. Suddenly, someone sounded offended. So! I immediately apologized in the same subthread. Hope I get benefit of the doubt -- I'm so nice behind the bar!!!

tegee

#4: Post by tegee »

That's EXACTLY why I avoid social media all together. Eventually stuff like this happens and all to often from my experience.

Sorry for this and I hope it has a pleasant ending.

Good luck

MyCchiato

#5: Post by MyCchiato »

wearashirt wrote:The cafe is such a social playground. It's easy to gain 500 new friends just by being a cashier. I wish Facebook could help business owners tag friends as "customers", so you're reminded not to talk to them too casually.
It will be boring, but the best you can do when you add someone that is not familiar/intimate is to move them to a custom list for Customers you can create yourself. I separate family from acquaintances and friends and coworkers with different lists, and I don't allow posts I'm tagged in by my friends to show up on my timeline without my permission. Then if I want to post 'sensitive' content or something like that I just set the lists that are allowed to see it.

I work with social managing and I have to say, don't waste the opportunity to be sympathetic and cosy with your customers accepting friend requests, but like anything else in life, you have to filter what you share with them.

#6: Post by wearashirt (original poster) replying to MyCchiato »

Some valuable commentary right there. Thanks mate.

CTurner

#7: Post by CTurner »

It is so easy to be misunderstood in emails and on FB. I try to be quite cautious, even when with <friends> who may misapprehend what I'm getting at.

SonVolt

#8: Post by SonVolt »

I deleted my Facebook when my family started to outnumber my friends. Now it's Grandma posting Bernie memes and Aunts uploading up-side-down pictures of grandchildren. I'd rather not.

#9: Post by wearashirt (original poster) »

CTurner wrote:It is so easy to be misunderstood in emails and on FB. I try to be quite cautious, even when with <friends> who may misapprehend what I'm getting at.
And to-try is to-make-an-effort, and it's quite tiring at times, at least for me. I think people over at Facebook HQ are trying their best to quell the negativity online.