Newbie help! Water coming out fast

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kanfive

#1: Post by kanfive »

I'm a long time reader/ first time poster. I just bought a Profitec Pro 700 with a Mazzer Mini E. I was pulling shots for half an hour with no problems. All of a sudden on the next shot I pull water starts coming out the portafilter very quickly, filling a shot glass within 2 seconds. Can anyone advise on why it's doing this? Thanks.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Same coffee? Same session? Did it happen more than once? What did the extraction/pump pressure indicate? Same weighed mass of coffee?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
kanfive (original poster)

#3: Post by kanfive (original poster) »

Yes everything I've been doing is the same, just water is now flowing much faster out of the portafilter

F1

#4: Post by F1 »

You keep saying "water". Are you talking about the speed at which the water is coming out of the group with no portafilter in place or how fast the shot is flowing?

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

If your grinder is new, well even without that, I'd go finer as it may be breaking in..that's about the only option together with old beans or a cracked puck.
(Lifting the tamper out requires some finess if the tamper fits the basket tight, otherwise the vacuum you create can lift and or crack the puck which also gets you fast pours)

2 seconds is reaally fast...
LMWDP #483

Gig103

#6: Post by Gig103 »

Marcelnl wrote: 2 seconds is reaally fast...
I am surprised by this value. My machine has an Ulka vibe pump and takes more than that for 2oz without a portafilter in place (cooling flush)!