Worth upgrading Eureka Mignon Mk2?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
buddy_yamaha

#1: Post by buddy_yamaha »

Hi, first post on here and looking to get some advice.

I'm on the verge of upgrading my machine. I have a Gaggia Classic, which was a decent enough first machine and has served me pretty well for over six years now.

The machine upgrade is pretty straight forward, I want to go with a local supplier (MAchina Espresso) as I've known the owner for over twenty years, way before he got into that line of work. They stock Rocket machines so I reckon the Giotto Evoluzione will fit my needs just fine.

What I want advice on is my grinder, at the moment I'm using a Eureka Mignon Mk2 which works great with the Gaggia, easy to adjust and clean, and decent grind quality and consistency. I've read somewhere that you should consider spending the same amount of money on your grinder as on your machine as your coffee will only be as good as the weakest link in the chain.

While I can talk my wife into the upgrade to the Rocket, spending the same on a grinder probably won't wash.

So should I be looking for a new wife?....

Only joking, the real question I guess is whether the Eureka will do a decent job with the Rocket, and if not how much I'd be looking to spend to get a significantly noticeable difference.

Cheers for any advice :)

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I don't think it's urgent to upgrade with that grinder. Rocket will scratch the itch for a while, then you could maybe upgrade grinder down the road if you want to.