Recommended steps before shutting down HX espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
D12edpresso

#1: Post by D12edpresso »

Hi everyone, I just bought a bz10 and this is the first HX machine I have.
When I bought the machine, my vendor told me to purge all of the steam from the boiler everytime I turned off the machine. Is this correct/true? Because I am only making 2 coffee (morning and evening) in a day, I am not going to turn the machine on 24/7.
In addition, should the portafilter always be placed (attached) in the group head when I turned the machine off?

Thanks

spearfish25

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

I don't think either issue matters. If you simply turn it off, the steam will condense and pressure will drop to zero as it cools. Your dealer is giving you a chore that will be annoying every day. As for the PF, it's nice to keep it on the machine so it heats with the group. On a bottomless PF it likely doesn't matter.

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

I also think it matters very little which way you go.
It is a good idea though that after steaming and cleaning the wand to run some steam through it to avoid clogging.

As for the PF I think there are two schools. Some keep it in the group and some let it rest somewhere else. Nevertheless, you should attach it when you turn the machine on in order it to heat up

petr0x

#4: Post by petr0x »

ON: portafilter on to heat up.
OFF: portafilter away to release pressure on gasket.

You do not need to release any steam when off. Just purge some steam and clean nozzle immediately after steaming milk.
I personally change the water inside boiler twice a month just to release some debris/scale which can accumulate in boiler. And to know I have fresh water there. Do this through hot water nozzle.
I have a water tank machine and I put fresh water every week even if it is not consumed.

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

No need. Pressure in the boiler will fall on its own as it cools. And the vacuum release valve will eventually open to equalize and prevent a vacuum inside the boiler.

Unless the bz10 has something unique or different about it.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

When I bought the machine, my vendor told me to purge all of the steam from the boiler every time I turned off the machine.
As has been previously posted, this is not necessary nor is it contained in the operators manual for the Bezzera. So, it would be interesting (perhaps) for you to ask the vendor their rationale for doing so and post their answer.

Of interest, I had a BZ07 years back and just looked over the parts catalogs for both the BZ07 and BZ10. Those catalogs show no reference to a vacuum relief valve but I almost certainly remember having one on my BZ07.

Post a pic of the top of your boiler and answers will be forthcoming.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

D12edpresso (original poster)

#7: Post by D12edpresso (original poster) »

I did asked why, and he said it's for the longevity of the machine itself. He also mentioned an extreme cases that boiler may Crack in the long term (I think he exaggerated this part).
I did read the manual and it didn't mentioned about this (purging all the steam when turning off the machine). That's why I'm asking.
I still don't know how to open the case as this is a new thing for me, maybe over the weekend I will try it and take some photos. Thanks

spearfish25

#8: Post by spearfish25 »

I can't think of a single piece of information that would support the vendors claim. If the steam or pressure is so damaging, the machine would be 'at risk' any time it's on. I can't figure out how a slow drop in temp and pressure would every damage a boiler designed for those parameters. Heck, a slow drop in pressure/temp is probably better than a fast one with purging all the steam.

Short answer, enjoy your new machine and ignore that crumby advice. Welcome to HB!

D12edpresso (original poster)

#9: Post by D12edpresso (original poster) »

Yes that's why I am seeking for alternative answer here :D
Or is it possible there's any connection from condensation of steam in the boiler to scales build up due to cooling process when the machine turns off? Thus my vendor advice me to empty the steam in the boiler when the machine is turned off.

Thanks all! Have been a long time silent reader in HB and it's always been exciting reading the discussion.

Nick Name

#10: Post by Nick Name »

Does the vendor know that these machines are designed to be on all day long?
In that perspective letting the pressure out (after it's been 12-16hrs at full pressure somewhere between 1-1.5bar) after the day seems pretty useless...?

Not that letting the pressure out after the day would by any means damage the machine.

As for slowing down the scaling process it is advisable to empty the boiler once a month (or more frequently) through the hot water dispenser (shut the machine down when it is at full temp/pressure, after that open the hot water wand and let the water flow as long as it does). It reduces the scale build up within the boiler.