How to Make Instant Coffee? - Page 4

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marcelnl

#31: Post by Marcelnl »

jpender wrote:I had just learned a new word a few days ago and already I have a chance to use it:
If you had a Gaggia with you then you were on a glamping tour.

I'm going ski touring / snow camping again this weekend. It'll be a easy trip, one night out, and only at around 8000 feet elevation. So the Aeropress and Porlex will probably make the cut.

Glamping, could be, it sure was comfortable :D
LMWDP #483

MyCchiato

#32: Post by MyCchiato »

jpender wrote:One of the reasons many instants are so bad is because they start with inferior beans and do their best to extract as much as they can from them, the goal being to maximize economy. Then, of course, more is lost in converting the extract into a dry powder. But it may be that simply starting with properly extracted, good quality coffee would, by itself, make a significant difference in the final product.

If it were easy to try it I would certainly do it. I drink a lot of instant coffee every year.

I'll have to keep an eye on Sudden Coffee.
Do you drink Sudden Coffee or what brand do you often drink? I have to say I'm completely ignorant and biased on the matter and never thought I would taste a good one, they are often too watery for my taste, but perhaps a better product is really other story?

jpender

#33: Post by jpender replying to MyCchiato »

I have not tried Sudden Coffee; I only just heard of it and it's a little too pricey for me.

All instants that I've tried are sub-par. Some are really horrible. But of those I've tasted the best is Starbucks VIA. I add a little sugar to mine, it seems to help.

I would never drink instant at home. Never.

The only time I ever drink instant coffee is when backpacking. I like to carry a light pack and walk (or ski) 20-30 miles/day. I usually don't have space for coffee equipment. On some trips I don't even take a stove and then my "instant coffee" each morning is a little yellow caffeine pill and a vivid imagination.