Gaggia D90 no water coming from pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Camelot

#1: Post by Camelot »

Hi,

I hava a gaggia d90 2 group which I took out of our coffee shop. I now have it set up at home. I hooked it up, plumbed from a pot of water. (Has worked before for months). Recently moved house and on setting up, the pump makes noise and the fan spins, but no water is being sucked up. Can anyone shed some light please ?

I am a new user and I look forward to chatting to you all in time.

Regards and thanks

gor

#2: Post by gor »

The procon style of pump (rotary vane) will suck really good from a bucket or pot of water.

You will need to prime it first, especially if it has been sitting for a while. It will not suck water otherwise.

Camelot (original poster)

#3: Post by Camelot (original poster) »

Thank you for your message. Can I ask what you mean by priming it ?

gor

#4: Post by gor »

I think the easiest way is to hook up the water pump to pressurised water first. It could be from a garden hose if you like.

Run some water through it and then it will be primed with water.

Some people put a non return valve, on the hose at the water inlet point. That way, the hose can never empty itself and the pump won't empty and run dry.

#5: Post by Camelot (original poster) »

Thank You for your message. Thats news to me but sounds good. I am a bit puzzled. The pump is wired into the coffee machine, it does not have its own power supply. I could bring the hose into the house and use it instead of the bucket for a moment. Does that make sense or is there a better way? Thanks

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

You might try a turkey baster to try and fill the line. If the pump is dry you need to get water into it. It sounds odd, but potentially, a water balloon attached to the inlet and held as high as possible might be enough to get it started.

Ira

#7: Post by Camelot (original poster) »

Guys thanks. The garden hose worked wonders. The machine is heating away there now with water in it. Haooy days. There is only so many chemex and aeropress I can drink. It is strange ive never heard of priming the pump before today.

gor

#8: Post by gor »

Priming is not necessary when you connect the machine to a pressurised line, for obvious reasons.

When you operate the machine from a water container, all is good until you run out of water! Then what happens, a whole lot of air is sucked up and you go back to step one needing to prime the pump again!

So be careful not to run out of water, otherwise you will need that hose again, lol