New roaster-Bella Taiwan 800N - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
9Sbeans

#31: Post by 9Sbeans »

ed63 wrote:After a few roasts I'm wondering the value in the auto graphing of roasts. Since small roasters seem to be sensitive to external temperatures, the settings would be maniputed often to compensate. Also, the graph only shows the result and does not automatically write down the gas and exhaust fan settings as they are changed. How are you guys approaching that part of data logging? Would someone roasting the same beans with the same profile but different climate get the same result?
What's the ambient temperature fluctuation range in your roasting place? Comparing to most small home roasters, this commercial 800N should be very stable and a roasting profile should be reproducible. In addition, you can also try insulating the drum and further improve its temperature stability as well as the fuel efficiency.

I customize two rows of Buttons in Artisan for fast event remarks: green for airflow (fan speed), and red for gas pressure (power). I move the mouse cursor onto the button event first, do the adjustment on my roaster, click the button to record this event, and move the cursor onto the next button.

Depending on your configuration, you may directly get a hint from your log without manual gas input. Here is an example (BTW, I didn't like the result of this roast, and just use it as an example). The red line ET records my Exhaust Temperature and it is sensitive to the gas adjustment. In the first five minutes of this roast, the gas increases from 16% (P16) to 40% (P40) in 4% increment. The orange line DeltaET is the first derivative of ET, and every time you see the DeltaET peak it's the increase of gas. Similarly, every time the gas is decreased there is a valley in the DeltaET.

In winter it's dry here and it seems to me I would get slightly more % weight loss in a similar roasting profile. However, there are many other variables (e.g. freshness of the bean) and (as of now) I don't think climate is the major contributor of different taste in the cup.

ed63 (original poster)

#32: Post by ed63 (original poster) »

Hi yes I did find that roasting in my garage with the door open presented problems from wind gusts. Melbourne, Australia. Anyone that's been here will have at some time experienced four seasons in the one day. Not really, but it sometimes seems like it hence the local joke. Last week saw mid 30°C then this week dropped to low 20°C s and coming up tomorrow is 30°C then day after is 41°C which will be followed by storms and maybe low temperatures and rain. The most stable weather here is during winter. I was just wondering to deal with it all.
Edit: I'm getting 15% weight loss on average over 5 roasts. I know it's not much to go by.lol