Time vs grind constraints, and their effects in the cup.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

What changes do you guys observe in the brew (tastewise), between smaller and larger brew volumes, while constraining the brew ratio and grind size?

...And same question, but constraining the brew ratio and brew time (by means of increasing grind size to increase flow rate).

Obviously keeping the grind size the same means the flow rate will be the same as well, so the brew time will take longer since there's more water to flow through the grounds. And conversely, constraining the time means your grind will be entirely different. I think the latter has a larger effect in the cup but today I made a rather large brew (1L) with the same brew ratio and found it tasted better than my typically smaller brew of 350mL.

And another question-- Which do you prefer? Keeping the time the same or the grind the same? Which yields a better cup in your opinion, or is the difference nominal?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Jofari

#2: Post by Jofari »

weebit_nutty wrote:Obviously keeping the grind size the same means the flow rate will be the same as well, so the brew time will take longer since there's more water to flow through the grounds.
If we're talking about pourover brewing, the flow rate should actually be slower with more grounds in the filter. The brew time will be lengthened because of this in addition to the added time due to the larger water volume.

I tend to adjust grind and not pay too much attention to time. I've also found that brew times vary quite a bit depending on the beans being used.

Advertisement
weebit_nutty (original poster)

#3: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

Jofari wrote:If we're talking about pourover brewing, the flow rate should actually be slower with more grounds in the filter. The brew time will be lengthened because of this in addition to the added time due to the larger water volume.
The latter point, yes, that reiterates what I said. But on the point of decreased flow rate due to more grinds, it depends on your grind quality, your PO technique, ie. a grinder that produces particularly high distribution of fines paired with a pouring technique that agitates the coffee bed repeatedly, the filter will be loaded more than a grinder with a low distribution of fines and a pouring technique that minimally disturbs the coffee bed. NonethelessThere will always more fines in a large dose which would work to restrict the flow however it would be counterbalanced by a higher active volume of water that increases the pressure of the flow out the holes at the bottom of the brewer.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?