Initial grind setting for Profitec T64 grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GeorgeM (original poster)

#11: Post by GeorgeM (original poster) »

So, I think that we finally got the T64 setting down. Now that I've got it going, I think that it is a great device. Its costly, but once you really get it figured out, I think that it is absolutely awesome!

Its like a big math equation -

The grinder coarseness + how long it takes to grind + weight of grinds + tamping pressure + length of shot = perfect espresso

They are all variables that I had to figure out!

Geirge

whitedime

#12: Post by whitedime »

mine clumps. especially with darker roasts. no amount of WDT or stirring seem to make them go away. If I loosen the grind they go away, but then it brews too fast.

whitedime

#13: Post by whitedime »

I found removing that screen made a HUGE difference in the quality of my grinds. clumps are gone.

teamacacia

#14: Post by teamacacia replying to whitedime »

Interesting. I may ditch the screen and see if it changes anything. I don't take the time to WDT, but I have found that the tighter I make the grind the clumpier the grinds get in the portafilter.
-Doc Todd

whitedime

#15: Post by whitedime replying to teamacacia »

I had identical findings as well. Oddly removing the screen made the clumps disappear, makes it WAY easier to clean, and you don't have old coffee and new coffee mixing together cause you can brush out the entire chute whenever you want. Please report your results after, I think you will be pleased. Note: coffee will come out MUCH faster.

Kellyk

#16: Post by Kellyk replying to whitedime »

How much did you have to change your timer? I'm at 7.1 with a 49th parallel old school.

whitedime

#17: Post by whitedime »

that will depend upon a multitude of factors. I seem to have gotten away from dosing a particular weight and just over-fill the PF basket, stir it up and strike off the top. I use a funnel thing from orphan espresso, highly recommended.

Kellyk

#18: Post by Kellyk »

I've tried it. Easily twice as fast grind. Tons of static though with a lot of grinds staying in the funnel. The coffee coming out didn't clump though. I chickened out and put the screen back on.