Add spring to new Elektra Microcasa a Leva or not? - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#31: Post by drgary »

If everything else is working well it would perform like a new, current machine. You would get more crema and richer shots with all the flavor layering that makes people love these machines.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

aasemkhan (original poster)

#32: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

Dr. Gary, how about a video of your technique? It seems we have assembled a small group of students here - me included - who might benefit from it.

I know I've improved my shots considerably based on your advice both on the mcal and my old pavoni, so a video would be quite invaluable.

And maybe we edit the title of this thread to something like "new spring to elektra vs proper technique" after that.

drgary
Team HB

#33: Post by drgary »

Wish I had the time, and you would have to lend me an Elektra Microcasa a Leva. I don't have one in the house! You can get a very good idea by looking at the long version of my review of that machine, here:

Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#34: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

Oh didn't notice it was written by you. Yes, that's the article that finally decided it for me to move from pavoni to elektra.

I think we should have video threads for each machine on this forum. I'll open a thread.

mikhail

#35: Post by mikhail »

I have added an additional booster spring to my mcal. I ordered 20 of them if anyone is interested in having a go too, heres my email mk531@cam.ac.uk

I am using a single dose basket

I wanted to get rid of the dripping towards the end of the pull, which I have achieved. The spring I obtained is 1.24" when compressed so it does not alter the original compression length. Free length is 3.21" which means that at the end of the pull the spring is still exerting force because the spring is still under compression from the 2.36" length pre-set by the piston. I estimate the spring to add between 1 and 1.7ish bars. (other parameters are 0.89" OD, 0.098" wire size, 54lbf load capacity, 27.8 lb/inch spring rate).

Apart from getting rid of the dripping towards the end I have noticed that the crema is more persistent so it lasts longer and the coffee appears to be a little bit more intense in its aromas but taste is subjective.

This is what the piston set up looks like

And here are two videos (I apologise for the music please turn your volumes down), first is just one brand new elektra spring (not much drip towards the end but this is rare-ish for me) and second is brand new elektra spring with a booster spring.

mikhail

#36: Post by mikhail »

So after a few weeks with an additional booster spring vs 6ish years with the standard spring I would like to report that I can get a nice flow from a range of beans more consistently.

On another note, is there something I can do to reduce the squeaking when I load up the lever (can be heard in my 2 videos above)?

#37: Post by aasemkhan (original poster) »

Good to know you're getting better results.

I was doing great myself, but then pulled some shots on my old Pavoni, and now I feel bad again :-) The Elektra pulls better tasting shots, but they are downright beautiful coming out of the Pavoni.