Looking for opinions on several espresso machines - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
c.yyang (original poster)

#11: Post by c.yyang (original poster) »

Nick Name wrote:There's no point in considering the Oscar anymore now that NS has started shipping the Oscar II. The price difference between the two machines is only about 100€ at least here in Europe (at elektros.it for example).
http://www.nuovasimonelli.it/images/sto ... ochure.pdf
Wow, the oscar 2 is really sexy

c.yyang (original poster)

#12: Post by c.yyang (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:Is BDB really RM6k? If that's the case I would spend 1k extra and go for the VBM. Otherwise, make sure you get the BES920 variant which is the latest version and is user-descalable. But you don't need to descale anyway with Malaysia's soft water.

Oscar is a bargain when it was 3.5k. But when I had it, it was a machine hard to love. Ugly+ lack of vac valve +uncertainty in flushing+ lousy stock steam tip. But it certainly makes acceptable coffee.

Breville will be more consistent and easier to use than the Oscar, and have more bells and whistles, aka features. The only shortcoming is the doubt surrounding its longevity due to the extra components. If you can get extended warranty, by all mean go for it.

Yup, BDB is 6k in Harvey Norman.

I just checked one website selling Oscar for 3.7k. But I am afraid as what you said it is indeed fugly, like a bigger sized plastic delonghi. However its capabilities seems quite good from the reviews.

Since I do not need to descale, BDB seems quite reasonable to buy. Thanks for your input!

takeshi

#13: Post by takeshi »

c.yyang wrote:However, there is something in my mind, for me who drinks 1-2 cups of latte a day, is getting a domobar "Overkill" ? I do enjoy making art although it is a challenge doing that on the poemia, but I manage to get it every now and then.

What do you guys think ? VBM here is twice the price of an Oscar, is it worth the price tag?
You really have to make those calls for yourself based on your priorities and where you are and are not willing to compromise. Overkill and worth are both highly subjective. I have 2 lattes a day and I don't consider my Duetto 3 to be overkill and it was definitely worth upgrading to me. However, your budget and preferences seem to differ from mine.