Used Olympia Cremina? - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RonnyG (original poster)

#41: Post by RonnyG (original poster) »

RonnyG wrote:Due to the asbestos coating on the boiler, if I can avoid that coating I would like to. I will put the OE foam insulator on the boiler to insulate it instead. Just less work to either remove that asbestos insulation or seal it.
I am looking at an '82 and a '90 on eBay. The 82 has a "buy it now" price for $835, the '90 has a few days left on the bid. The 90 is going to need a major descale of the boiler, seal replacement and potential sight glass replacement with the pressure safety valve on top of that sight glass needing replacement as well. On the '90 there is something I am not sure of though. When looking at the boiler from the back there is a 90degree piece of tube that is welded to top side of the boiler and to the frame just below the pressure safety valve. Is this normal? I figure a sub $600 price on that '90 might be worth it considering the work that needs to happen to it. Not sure though eBay worries me a little.

forbeskm

#42: Post by forbeskm replying to RonnyG »

Descale is easy, some vinegar and hot water will work just fine. Seal replacement is straightforward from OE videos. The sight glass can be removed without breaking versus la pavoni's where I usually just break it. The leak on the relief valve is like the seal, a new seal kit comes with a Teflon washer for that. That 90degree tube is the mechanical pressurestat. The other 90 degree tube provides boiler to sight glass and pressure stat connection,

THe biggest thing to worry you on eBay is the shipping. Make sure they ship with a double wall box, like a Home Depot heavy duty moving box. Have them remove the lever handle, OE's link is here. http://www.orphanespresso.com/PACKING-Y ... 550-1.html. I have offered to pay more for shipping for it to make it in one piece,

I have had machines show up with plastic bags as shipping material!

The 82 is a nice looking machine as well. I would request a photo with the bottom plate off and one with the cover off. The cover is removed by taking off the big nut on top of the boiler.

RonnyG (original poster)

#43: Post by RonnyG (original poster) replying to forbeskm »

Really Glad to hear this, I just wrote an email to both sellers requesting info about shipping. I have been messaging the '82 guy and am waiting on some pics with the cover off. Thanks again

grog

#44: Post by grog »

I got a '74 on eBay last summer for $750 shipped. It turned out it needed a new element (plus new seals and gaskets all around) but I thoroughly enjoy the rebuilding process of these vintage machines so none of that was problematic for me. I left the asbestos in place, as it is completely intact. Plus the seller was great and refunded me the cost of the replacement element so I wasn't out additional there. As others have said though, eBay is a crap shoot and I got lucky with an honest seller who was happy to make me whole.

I'll also join the chorus and say the shots are great. I used the OE seal kit (don't think they sell the boiler insulation kit anymore BTW) and then purchased the OEM group-to-boiler gasket from Cerini. I got a bottomless from Gabor in Hungary, which conveniently also fits my first gen Europiccola. I've got the two machines side by side right now and pull my morning shots on them. As Gary mentioned, once you have these machines dialed in, the shots are virtually the same. I haven't ever tried to compare them blind but I'm confident that the shots from the '63 Pavoni are every bit as good as those from the '74 Cremina.
LMWDP #514