2016 Rancilio Silvia M version

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
joedy

#1: Post by joedy »

Supposedly, the 2016 version of this machine has a foam wrapped boiler as well as an automatic OFF switch that enables after 30 minutes.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the new features or thoughts thereof?

I don't know if the insulated boiler will allow the machine to experience a slower temperature decline if the power switch has an automatic cut-off.

-joedy

turbo290

#2: Post by turbo290 »

When I had my Silvia I found that 1 hr warm up was the norm. Then it would stay on all morning and would pull terrific shots. An insulated boiler of course makes 100% sense, but a 30 minute shut off??? It seems contradictory for consistent espresso.

joedy (original poster)

#3: Post by joedy (original poster) »

turbo290 wrote:...but a 30 minute shut off??? It seems contradictory for consistent espresso.
That's what I'm thinking, Turb290.

It's my understanding that the new European green energy standards calls for this feature, but I wonder if there's a way to disable it.

Rancilio is stating that the new insulated boiler configuration allows for lower energy consumption, but the automatic shut off seems to be a bit redundant if that is the case.

One quote online about the new "E" machine:
...have implemented some new features on the Rancilio coffee machine for domestic use. In full conformity with the European EuP directive, Silvia consumes less than 0.5 Wh (watt-hour) in standby mode. The coffee machine shuts off automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity, as stipulated by the Ecodesign regulatory norms. Rancilio LAB research and development department has gone even further than this. For Rancilio, innovation means operating for a sustainable future. For this reason, Silvia Home Line is equipped with a special boiler wrapped in a foam thermal insulator with a high rate of heat absorption. A feature that enables a significant reduction of energy consumption when the machine is on. In addition, the internal parts of the coffee machine in contact with water do not release toxic substances and do not compromise the quality of the beverage in the cup.
I checked with Mary at Chris Coffee and she mentioned that they are no longer carrying the v4 version, but are now carrying the "M" version. I'm curious to know if there's a "E" version for the European market and an "M" version for the American market?

Although, the idea of an automatic shutoff mechanism might help prevent some element damages, perhaps?

-joedy

turbo290

#4: Post by turbo290 »

How about in conjunction with the insulated boiler they install a magical electronic device that pulses small bursts of energy to the element to keep the boiler at a consistent temperature.

LukeFlynn

#5: Post by LukeFlynn »

My BDB has an automatic cut off (1 hr), I despise it, it's manageable with that machine, since it has a really great heating system.. I would dread it on a Silvia though, it's inconsistent enough, that could change with the heat wrap, maybe, but if it's not PID controlled from the factory I don't understand. I wish Rancilio would make some real changes to the machine, considering it has retained almost the same heating design since its inception... I doubt we cared nearly as much about consistency then as we do now, that's why I believe It's a rarity to be suggested these days.

Just my $0.02

joedy (original poster)

#6: Post by joedy (original poster) »

I heard from Mary at Chris Coffee and she confirms that the M version of the 2016 Silvia has the insulated boiler design as well as the redesigned separate POWER/BOILER lights, it does NOT have the automatic power shutoff feature.

The "E" version of the Silvia is only for sale in Europe.

Here's another question, though: does an insulated boiler prevent the cup warmer from being effective?

-joedy

LukeFlynn

#7: Post by LukeFlynn replying to joedy »

I would be inclined to think the machine/boiler would still give off heat of some sort, surely enough to heat cups.. My oscar had an insulating wrap, and heated cups perfectly, was an HX though.