Buying a used Bunn G1 today, advice? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Those burrs are dead.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DejaEntendu (original poster)

#12: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) replying to TomC »

Grind seems inconsistent with a ton of fines, think it's the burrs?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

DejaEntendu wrote:I just called Bunn and the manufacturing date of this G1 was apparently 2009. I thought it'd be alot older since it has the old 9 position detent plate and looks pretty used (the prongs that hold the lid down are a little rusted and loose, the sides of the machine are kinda warped/not completely straight).
The build date is right at the bottom of your data tag; 02/09. The switch to the Trifecta detent plate didn't occur until around 2012. I use the new plate with the older style decal.

I have a nice set of stock burrs. If you are interested send me a PM.
LMWDP 267

mfogliet

#14: Post by mfogliet »

The stock burrs have a date stamp on the backside - mm/yy or just yy I can't remember. The G3 I bought last year had burrs from 1987!

#15: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) replying to mfogliet »

They're from 2009, just checked. So they haven't been replaced since the machine was built.

The G1 used to be own by "Reinhardt Food company" before the guy I bought it from bought it from them. According to google, they're a big food service that supplies restaurants and grocery stores, so I'm assuming my G1 was used for shipping out pre-ground beans to stores and such until 2014 (when the guy I bought it from purchased it)

Ellejaycafe

#16: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Yeah I would say those burrs are really dead. That grind does not look awesome. I would highly recommend the Ditting burrs. If you're going to spend money, might as well do it right!
LMWDP #544

#17: Post by DejaEntendu (original poster) replying to Ellejaycafe »

About to order the one's from Mill City. Also went ahead and did the Mini-Bunn mod last night, ordered the trifecta detent plate and decal as well.

Here's to hoping the Bunnzilla numbs the pain of my team just pooping the bed in the Superbowl.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

Start rounding up some cheap beans as you'll want to 12-15lbs through those new burrs to season them a bit.
LMWDP 267