Mazzer Mini - Yesterday's grinder? Is it up to the task? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

kwantfm wrote:To be clear Jim, your statement specifically excludes the Mini E because the burr set is different?
Yes.
Jim Schulman

nickw

#12: Post by nickw »

ira wrote:Until someone makes a test grinder where the alignment can be altered in consistent and repeatable ways and runs a bunch of preferably blind tests, how do we know it's about alignment?
Totally fair question.

Randy Pope from Bunn talks about it:
"The important thing with grinders is having well aligned burrs" - Randy Pope
"Minor changes can make great results" - Randy Pope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU0p ... XYTi6OBecA

I believe Christian Klatt also talks about it in his Nordic barista talk. (But I'd have to watch it again to find it).

In terms of user reviews, there's a handful of us (myself, Terranova, those whose grinder's Terranova has modded, dsc, Assaf, etc).

With my Versalab the difference in alignment very noticeable. Much more defined extractions with less bitter/sour (if any). I wish I had my refractometer then, so I could of posted before/after. With my EK, the shots went up about 1-2% after alignment, but it was in better alignment to start with.

Perhaps Socratic coffee will test day alignment one day. They'd have to have two grinders of the same make/model with new burrs (both broken in), then do a taste + EY tests. This would be easiest with a VL or Titus.

If someone in the Vancouver area has a Versalab, I'd be happy to do this test. I'd also be happy to align their grinder post test. If you're every in the area, you'd be welcome to stop by.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

ungabunga1989

#13: Post by ungabunga1989 »

My Mini E does a great job and I am very happy with it. I also have a Lyn Weber HG-1. I know that the Mini E has the larger burrs (compared with the "regular" Mini) and maybe that makes the difference...

The shots I make from both grinders are really fabulous (if I do say so myself). The shots from the HG-1 seem to reach slightly higher "heights" in that they develop a level of nuance and detail in their flavors kind of the way you get from Grand Cru Burgundy, but the Mini E's shots are wonderfully consistent and a bit richer and creamier (at least to my taste). I honestly cannot say that I prefer one over the other...there is a time for Richebourg and a time for Romanee-Saint Vivant...

I tend to use the HG-1 when I plan on pulling 3 shots or less and the Mini E when I am brewing for a larger crowd...

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

Split follow-on discussion to Reneka Techno v1 is showing its age.
Dan Kehn