Grinders - old and new - third & second wave in Europe - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
thepilgrimsdream

#11: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

EK43s do seem like Star Wars grinders and I'd love one myself......but remember how much cheaper they are than Dittings. At the quality and given price point it's the best thing in the market.

Robur = Syrup
Peak = Butter/Cream
EK43 = Juice

Honestly, most 3rd wavers dont seem to care as much about Carmel, Chocolate, Body, Depth as long as it is ultra sweet and clean with a few distinguished high notes. Personally I like Bass, Mids and Treble on my stereo.

Marcelnl

#12: Post by Marcelnl »

Sad to hear the old man alao is no longer...

Nice to hear that there now are some decent places for coffee, I def did not mention Hawelka and Central for great coffee but for a taste of the City back then :!:
LMWDP #483

malling

#13: Post by malling »

thepilgrimsdream wrote:EK43s do seem like Star Wars grinders and I'd love one myself......but remember how much cheaper they are than Dittings. At the quality and given price point it's the best thing in the market.

Robur = Syrup
Peak = Butter/Cream
EK43 = Juice

Honestly, most 3rd wavers dont seem to care as much about Carmel, Chocolate, Body, Depth as long as it is ultra sweet and clean with a few distinguished high notes. Personally I like Bass, Mids and Treble on my stereo.
The Ek is an expensive grinder when you compare it to the more traditional espresso grinders.

Espresso grinders has long been allot cheeper then Bulk.

people who consider the EK these days, that are planing too use the Ek for espresso, Should therefore compare it with those grinder rather then bulk, with the only exception from this rule being the R120.

Personally I would not call the newer trend of high yield, sweet and clean shots for third wave, as third wave shots usually where allot higher dosed and shorter pulled shots and in many places roasted darker then the almost filter like roasted profile that are used in the latest trend. The new trend that has especially found its way in nothern europe is very very different from the traditional third wave, that in all fairness where often sourish, unbalanced or excessively syrupy and heavy.

Filletfellini

#14: Post by Filletfellini »

malling wrote:The Ek is an expensive grinder when you compare it to the more traditional espresso grinders.

Espresso grinders has long been allot cheeper then Bulk.

people who consider the EK these days, that are planing too use the Ek for espresso, Should therefore compare it with those grinder rather then bulk, with the only exception from this rule being the R120.
EK is $2100 wholesale
Robur is $2400 wholesale
Mythos is $1800 wholesale

What am I missing? They're all in the same ballpark. Espresso grinders have not 'long been cheaper' than Bulk.
There's definitely a larger spread of cost for espresso grinders - i.e. more cheap, entry level, but quality bulk grinders have
'long been cheaper' for high performance than espresso grinders. For good reason, an espresso grinder requires the ability to fine-tune, and the motor/cooling system is more important. Plus you need either a timer-based system (more electronics) or a doser (more mechanics).

Mrboots2u

#15: Post by Mrboots2u »

thepilgrimsdream wrote:EK43s do seem like Star Wars grinders and I'd love one myself......but remember how much cheaper they are than Dittings. At the quality and given price point it's the best thing in the market.

Robur = Syrup
Peak = Butter/Cream
EK43 = Juice

Hmm - depends on how pull the shot and the coffee you use , I ve had some really creamy , sweet , shots from the ek43 , even at 1.2:5 ratios