Can anybody teach me the differences of pourover kettles? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SonVolt

#11: Post by SonVolt »

MCALheaven wrote:I have a Kalita copper kettle lined with tin? Similar to metals of Turkish pots and traditional copper cookware I believe? Don't care for the discoloration of the interior, which is normal. Also it can't be heated past a certain temp or you can damage the interior metal. As a pour over it works amazingly. Very fine control. But I've changed my methods to where the fine control isn't as important to me anymore. <image>

Oh ok. I never heat my kettles over directly flame, but pour water boiled from a general purpose electric kettle into one.

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava »

Matt44 wrote:...But I always see the recommendation NOT to heat water directly in the kettle. Any particular reason for that? ....
I don't buy the argument. Prima, the US dealer says it's fine. The Takahiro is 18-8 stainless steel. My Tiamo and Paico, both 18-8 have 4 years and 8 years respective use on both electric and now gas burners. They show no deterioration.

My concern would be only if you have an induction stove.
-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

I'm pretty much done with plastic brewers, mostly brew in glass Kalita Waves (easier, but still calls for gooseneck) and stainless Impress brew mugs (no special kettle for this immersion method). I love the looks of the Monarch Methods, but find them too small in capacity for me. Occasional Chemex, but larger batches usually brew in the Brazen.

I found a unique olive oil kettle with a very narrow spout at a thrift that works a treat after trying a few. Holds about 900 ml and fits my radiant cook top burner well. I fill from the hot tap of my cooler and the rest of the family uses it to heat water for tea. Stays on the stove.

I'd consider a porcelain Bonavita over the Clever but already have a box of brew accessories I should find better homes for.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

My thrifted kettle also matches the style of my Gaggia Factory lever and to a lesser extent my Faemina and has a WAF that's invaluable.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

MCALheaven

#15: Post by MCALheaven »

I guess that's why I really don't like my copper kettle. I'd like to be able to leave it on the stove and use it for everything, -turning burner on high to heat water for tea. But high heat definitely affects the interior metal since I can taste it afterwords. :(

homeburrero
Team HB

#16: Post by homeburrero »

Someone mentioned induction stoves, and that's a good point. If you have one, or intend to get one you must have a kettle that works with induction. My Hario Buono works fine on induction. I put it on my smallest burner (6", 1800 watt) at the max/burst setting where it heats very quickly*. My kettle shows no evidence of bluing or burning.

The specs for the Buonavita stovetop kettle indicate that it is also induction capable.

*It will take 600ml from 60F to a full boil (203F where I live) in ~3 minutes.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

leon

#17: Post by leon »

The Takahiro also works fine on an induction stovetop.

day

#18: Post by day »

My hario works perfect on induction. As long as the coil diameter is equal or greater than that of the base it boils super fast as well.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone