Hario Skerton Burrs Lightly Touching

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
davidjbillo

#1: Post by davidjbillo »

Just got it today, haven't put any beans through it, but I'm playing around with the adjustment. Right now, I have it one step off of tight, i.e. tight being that I can't turn that handle. At one step up from that, the handle turns freely, however there is a slight sound of the burrs lightly touching. I would have to go at least another four steps to make it silent, but I suspect that is too coarse for espresso.

I did a search of the forum and read a few threads about it, also an online search. I came across some comments to the effect that it's OK for these designs to "growl" a little from the burrs lightly touching, and that they rely on the coffee grinds to help centre them.

Yea or nay?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

This is how they "work" but you could possibly get better results from tightening up the tolerances - there are plenty of mod posts on the forums for these kinds of grinders (teflon tape on the shaft springs to mind) so might be worth your time looking up these, too.

davidjbillo (original poster)

#3: Post by davidjbillo (original poster) »

Thanks aecletec, I've seen some of those mods. For now just want to give a go "stock" and wanted to make sure it was OK.

turtle

#4: Post by turtle »

What are you going to be grinding for? Espresso? Press?

They do an ok job on finer grinds without the lower bearing mod (top burrs floats and self centers) With the bearing mod they do an exceptional job on pour over to press grinds.

CM-50 is my travel grinder for pour over. I have done the OE bearing mod on it though
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

davidjbillo (original poster)

#5: Post by davidjbillo (original poster) »

We are just using it for espresso.