Electric grinder for French press, $200-ish budget, quality coarse grind

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bikeminded

#1: Post by Bikeminded »

I'm interested in thoughts/recommendations for an electric grinder for french press with a budget in the $200-ish range.

I really WANT to like the Breville Smart Grinder Pro and the new OXO Barista Brain Grinder. The auto time dosing (Pro) and weight based (OXO) are really nice features.

BUT, I seem to see mixed reviews (Seattle Coffee vids, Coffee Concierge, others) on the quality of the course grind. For both there are mentions of inconsistency at the course settings and to many fines. I'm not interested in a grinder that I have to sieve. (This is a "5AM in the morning, fix a press pot before I'm out the door" grinder.) On the flip side of that, I see other reviews and posts stating they work for FP.

I'm not opposed to going with a more basic grinder without the auto controls, if the course grind capabilities are great.

Another way of saying is that "Quality of grind for FP" is my #1 priority. Based on the price, etc, I'll figure out what other features I want/need or decide I can live without. Maybe I'm not at the right budget range. Dunno.

I've searched extensively on this both on HB and Google. There have been similar questions, but haven't been satisfied with the hits I've gotten, hence the post.

Bob_M

#2: Post by Bob_M »

Baratza Virtuoso for about $229.00 at Chris Coffee and other HB sponsors. See this review by Mark Prince of Coffee Geek. Since this review the Virtuoso has becomel clad with the same burrs.

https://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/q ... osopreciso

CwD

#3: Post by CwD »

Used commercial if you can find one with good burrs locally. Bunn G series are fairly widely available, and if the burrs aren't worn out will be better than anything on a consumer level. You can also upgrade to Ditting burrs later if you like. If you can find a Grindmaster 890 there will already be machined Ditting burrs inside, but don't count on finding one. For French press levels of coarseness, the other, more common, Grindmaster grinders with crushing burrs are supposedly very very good, but not so much any finer, even in the drip range.

I got my G1 for $200, the ad was for a bit more than that and I made an offer. It's big enough anyone whose had it listed for a couple weeks is probably itching to get rid of it. There's two separate G9s on my local Craigslist right now for $150 (I'd even be tempted just for the different finer screw if I wasn't more interested in the secondary screw through the knob mod). Point being, if you're in the US they're anything but rare.

I have the Ditting burrs, but the stock were in good enough shape replacing them wasn't a requirement. This thing seems sturdy enough to outlive me, and the entire span of humanity for that matter.

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

The other members have made good recommendations. Keep in mind that while you enjoy the press pot now, down the road you may want a grinder which offers good grinds across a spectrum of preps. Tastes and preps do change.
-----
LMWDP #339

Bikeminded (original poster)

#5: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. Those are both good options and sent me off reading/searching more. For where I need to fit this, the Bunn
options will get to big. I like the Virtuoso. With the upgraded burrs in the 586(?), it sure gets high marks for coarse grind quality. I'm willing to give up some bells/whistles for better grind.

Bob_M

#6: Post by Bob_M »

Bikeminded wrote: I like the Virtuoso. With the upgraded burrs in the 586(?),
I didn't make myself clear. Yes the Virtuoso now has the same burrset as the Preciso (these burrs are also found in the Lido 3 and the Lido E.)

thepilgrimsdream

#7: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Bunn G1 would be my first choice. With a more inexpensive grinder I find that preheating my beans produces a more even grind....maybe I'm crazy

aecletec

#8: Post by aecletec replying to thepilgrimsdream »

I seem to find this also - think it's worth a shot for use with cheaper grinders...

Bikeminded (original poster)

#9: Post by Bikeminded (original poster) »

Just a followup. Baratza Virtuoso tucked nicely in with the other gear. Been single dosing with it on about the coarsest setting for press. Working nicely. Seemed to be also zero retention if I single mist the beans before I dump in the hopper. I like it. Thanks for the input all.