Milk frother recommendation - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jbenson4

#11: Post by jbenson4 »

samuellaw178 wrote:Like any machine without vacuum breaker valve, you need to purge this too. Even some machines with vac valve will still need a little purge to get rid of the air. I noticed a similar effect on my electric steamer that the first few second tends to be blowing out air rather than steam into my milk.
To try and combat this I leave the valve open while heating until it sputters, relieving false pressure. Once pressure is built, I blast a good amount from the wand and then start with the milk. Would this be enough to get rid of the air, or should I do a couple more cycles of opening the air before starting with the milk? Or is this air a moot point?

spressomon

#12: Post by spressomon »

Just made a couple nice cappuccinos just now, while traveling, using my EspressoForge and Bellman atop a gas range. I'm using a 12oz steam pitcher with about 3-4oz of cold milk (happens to be non-homogenized whole milk but doesn't really matter...) in the pitcher. Put the steam tip into the pour spout of the pitcher...tilt the pitcher down a little towards the steam tip and with the hole of the tip barely under the surface of the milk start steaming. Keep feeling the bottom of the pitcher for the milk temperature...I don't use a thermometer but when the stainless steel pitcher, about 1/2 way between the bottom and top surface of the milk, gets almost uncomfortable to touch this is where I stop steaming...

With relatively little steam power (compared to my Londinium, PV Export, etc.) and the single tip I never need to sink the steam wand tip deep into the milk. If the bubbles are too big then submerge the steam tip a little more and visa-versa. But generally the steam tip is just below the surface of the milk.

The first pitcher of milk this morning was OK, even though the Bellman was fully heat soaked (pressure relief was spitting a little) and I purged the air several times from the steam arm. But the 2nd pitcher was pure luxurious micro-foam to the bottom of the pitcher.

HTH

Dan
No Espresso = Depresso

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#13: Post by EspressoForge »

jbenson4 wrote:I usually use 2%, but had tried a carton of whole milk to see. I was pretty sad when my whole milk turned out the same or worse than some of my 2% attempts. I would appreciate that video immensely, it would help a lot. Between multiple tries of slow and steady steam, to nearly full blast, I am getting no sort of consistency in results.
Because of the higher fat content, whole milk is actually harder to steam than 2% or skim. IMO it tastes much better and I don't care that much about perfection of steaming.
spressomon wrote: The first pitcher of milk this morning was OK, even though the Bellman was fully heat soaked (pressure relief was spitting a little) and I purged the air several times from the steam arm. But the 2nd pitcher was pure luxurious micro-foam to the bottom of the pitcher.
I used an electric Bellman for a while, I would place a pitcher under the wand and purge for a good 10-15s wide open. Let recover (cool and fill pitcher with milk) then go for steaming. To me, mine seemed to accumulate either excess air, or wet steam condensation at first. I'm guessing this is just what happens with such a small boiler (compared to larger machines).

Also, you probably know, but the level you fill the Bellman to will make a difference as well, for my electric I couldn't fill too low, but I would guess with a stovetop one that wouldn't be much of an issue.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by samuellaw178 »

jbenson4 wrote:To try and combat this I leave the valve open while heating until it sputters, relieving false pressure. Once pressure is built, I blast a good amount from the wand and then start with the milk. Would this be enough to get rid of the air, or should I do a couple more cycles of opening the air before starting with the milk? Or is this air a moot point?
Depends on how much is your steamer filled to but I think your routine should be good enough. From your description though you might have another limiting factor, rather than the air issue.

From what I see, there are a couple of variants of the Bellman out there. Some have three holes, some have single holes. I had one with a single hole and the hole was too tiny. The steam velocity is sooo low that it's hardly whipping the milk or creating the whirlpool effect. I had to drill it slightly to get a better foam.