Fascinated with coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
BenKeith

#1: Post by BenKeith »

Am I the only nut on hear or are there others like me.
As the titled stated, I'm fascinated with coffee and the kicker is, I'm not overly fond of the taste of it and still can't acquire a taste for it black.
What fascinates me is how it can be manipulated. I enjoy roasting it and seeing what I can do with it afterwards. I just did four roast of a Guatemalan, each with a little different profile to experiment with and it gets me how you can take that one batch of coffee seeds and get dozens of different flavors from it. The four roast, were changed in ways to try and get very distinct differences and I accomplished that. Then you move to the brewing process, with just in one type of process, by changing the grind, water temp, steep time, how much the grounds are manipulated during the brewing all have a very distinct impact on the flavor of what goes in the cup. Then you start changing the brewing process, French press, AeroPress, pour over, espresso machine, each having multitudes of ways to change the flavor.

I don't care much for drinking it, even though I find myself drinking more, but it's just because I'm anxious to see what something I've changed has affected the flavor. I've even been trying to drink one six ounce cup a day of it black, but that's still not helping. I still want the milk and sugar and something sweet with it when I actually drink a cup to enjoy. I probably make 20 times more than I drink, because I will make a cup, just to taste it and then pour it down the sink, even though it's a perfectly good cup of coffee, and I probably give away a lot more than I use because I roast way more than I could ever hope to drink, but if I only roasted what I drank, it wouldn't be roasting much more than a pound a month.

So, it's that really off the deep end or not?

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Sounds like you got the coffee bug:-). It truly is amazing how many variables there are in coffee.

doubleOsoul

#3: Post by doubleOsoul »

Maybe if you got into levers where you can really taste some profiles, you might change your mind.