La Pavoni boiler material and food safety

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ile

#1: Post by ile »

I'm looking to buy a La Pavoni, but one thing makes me wonder, that's the food safetiness of the boiler.

I think the material might be nickel plated brass? At least some of these have that, not sure if all of them are the same. There is one 1999 version of La Pavoni I might get.

Couldn't find too much info about the safety of the boiler, but nickel as such isn't entirely without problems in regards of food safety, I think.

What do you say? I'm just a bit more concerned of this issue than most, I guess, but to me it seems like an important point.

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

If you are talking about the La Pavoni Europiccola and Professional machines then they have copper boilers with no internal plating. At least the machines I've worked on, all pre-millenium, have been copper boilers.

I don't think there are any more problems with that than 90% of the machines in use today.
LMWDP #445

ile (original poster)

#3: Post by ile (original poster) »

Ah, ok.

That nickel plated brass was from a 2005-2010 model, I think. Didn't see it myself, but got that info from the owner. Yes, La Pavoni Europiccola/Professional.

Yes, a lot of machines have copper boilers. Not sure why, but that's how it seems. I got a Caravel partly because of its stainless steel boiler.

I probably shouldn't worry so much.